Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Sarcastically Sweet

I am a firm believer in not letting yourself get completely walked on because you are too afraid of saying something mean. I have almost perfected saying what I want to in semi-nice way. I truly believe that it is an art. My mom sometimes tells me things just so that I will say something to people. Really though, I sometimes wish that I could be a little nicer and not let things bother me, but then I look at some of my friends that just deal with their circumstances and in the process don't ever get their way. Let your voice be heard my friends!!! Let me give you a for example of what I am talking about.



Setting: St. Johns High School basketball games. St. Johns vs. Alchesay



Main Characters: Narrator (a.k.a me, Taytum)

3 girls from Alchesay



Scene: There's a big messy problem, and narrator decides to fix it.



While sitting at the SJ vs. Alchesay games I look down the row from me, and there are sunflower seeds EVERYWHERE! First of all, ew. Second of all, the gym (although it may smell like it sometimes) is not a barn! Not only were there seeds on the row down from me, but on the two rows in front of that. Gross, spit-out-of-the-mouth seeds covering three rows of bleachers. I look, and sure enough it isn't any of our fans that have created the mess, it is three reservation girls from Alchesay. Not only does it bother me because it is a germy mess, but they are on the HOME team side. Go sit on the VISITOR side! Someone needs to post signs to direct people to their appropriate areas....in Taytum's "perfect world" there would be. But, moving on.

As I sit fuming, I decide something should be done about this. I don't think Mr. Holden, the custodian should have to clean up that kind of mess. If you were to look at the rest of the stands there are a few wrappers and soda cans here and there, but no mess like this. I decide to take action into my own hands. Mr. Holden is down by the door closest to me so I get up to go talk to him. As I go, I pass the three girls. I stop and say in my nicest school teacher way,

"Ladies, would you like me to get a broom for you to clean up this? We don't make these kinds of messes here."

They look at me completely dumbfounded. I don't think they could believe someone said anything at all to them. Partly because they mess up their own places and the other reason they were in disbelief was because I don't think they ever thought they would be held accountable for their mess. Surprisingly, they all shook their heads or said yes they would clean it up.

I continued down to Mr. Holden and told him about the mess and that if he would give them a little broom or something they would clean it up for him. He was like, "Really?" And I said yes. I showed him which girls, and they had already gotten on their hands and knees and were picking it up with their hands!

The End.

I was so proud of myself. See if I hadn't done that, it would have been left there. Totally rude. I figured I'd rather take a chance and have some girls I don't even know think I am mean, then to sit there and fume and know that someone else would have to pick up their spitty seed shells.
If I had to do it again, I would.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Typical person from St. Johns taking it upon themselves to tell other people how they should do things.

Why can't they sit on your side of the bleachers?

And, how interesting that you mention them as "reservation girls."

Charming.

Bailey said...

How interesting that this "anonymous' takes it upon themselves to leave RUDE comments and not their name. That's typical! Taytum, more power to you girl! Go eat crap and choke on it "anonymous"

Ben & Jessica said...

way to go taytum! and "anonymous", she said "reservation girls" to let us know they were from the OTHER TEAM!! DUH!

Kachelle said...

OH MY GOSH!!! your are my freakin hero!!!! that is awsome!!! i think everyone in town should do that. it's irritating how they come over and try to destroy as much as possible. i really don't think we should even play them anymore because of how they act.not the mention how dirty they play ball.

K. Bitton said...

Nice work! I wish I could be more like that. I just sit back and complain to my Jeffrey about it and get him all bugged at me for complaining:) You should live in Rexburg with me :)

Bailey said...

Most definitely I will come save you. I mean, honestly, 3 days with 'kenny'. I'll take a NO on that. Where is the tourney and what hotel are you staying at? anywhere close to me? I'm sure not, nothing has been this year! I can venture out, Brody and i LOVE roadtrips! hee. call me and let me know.

Nicole Mineer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole Mineer said...

Holy Cow-whats up with the anonymous not revealing who they are--they can talk crap to you, but can't say who they are. I mean anyone can have an opinion, but they are to chicken to say who they are-a little shady if you ask me. Anyways- I totally agree, I can't tell you how many times I have seen that kinda thing happen and its not fair to anyone else! Go TAYTUM!

Jaime said...

Way to go! I hate teenagers that think they own the place! I wish there were more people like you that would speak their opinion!

Anonymous said...

Ok well sorry I agree with the anonymous! You act as if you are better then them because they live on the Rez and you don't!

Plus you are sometimes a quit negative person!!

taytum said...

Haha! All of these anonymous comments have seriously made me die laughing. I really didn't mean to offend anyone. I personally thought reservation girls sounded better than indian.

Plus, if I am so rude...feel free to not read my blog and be offended. I understand why people go private now, but that is step I really don't want to take.

Erin said...

Ok, I give up. It was me that left the anonymous comment. I'm just so sick of your lip Taytum! In my eyes, you're nothing but a heartless beast! Haha... j.k.

My two cents: I'm from Flagstaff and I'm called a "Flagstaff girl". You're from St. Johns and you're called a "St. Johns girl"... "Mesa girl", "Thatcher girl", "fill in the blank girl". Get over it anonymous people!