Sunday, April 13, 2008

Baby Naming

People ask us on a daily basis what we are naming our baby. Once that questioned is answered they inevitably ask why we chose Brody Jay. It has made me really start to think about how or why our parents name us the names they have. I wonder about the stories behind people's names. So I asked our parents about our own names.

Trevor's full name is Trevor Joel Waite. Trevor was chosen simply because they liked the name Trevor. His middle name was after his dad's great-great grandpa, Joel H. Johnson (1802-1882). Trevor's mom claims they gave him the middle name Joel to please her mother-in-law. This ancestor was most known for writing the lyrics to songs. There are actually two in the LDS hymn book. One is called, "The Glorious Gospel Light Has Shown" the other, and more famously known one is called, "High on the Mountain Top." I believe that the second song was actually sung by the mormon tabernacle choir this last general conference.

My name was simply Taytum Garner. No middle name. My mom didn't have a middle name and so I didn't get one. I kinda like it that way because I use 'G' as my middle initial now. My parents lived in Mesa while my mom was pregnant and my dad played on a softball league. There was a divorced guy on my dad's team with the cutest little 4 year old blonde that my mom would watch while her daddy played. Her name was Tatum. My parents liked somewhat different names and so that just fit. My mom wanted it even more different, and so she spelled my name with a 'y' in the middle. I love that they did that. It looks so much cuter, and phonetically it just makes more sense.

Now for our little Brody Jay. We like names that aren't super common, but not weird. While we were dating I asked Trevor what names he liked. Me, being the girl that I am, have always had lists and lists of names I like. Some lists are just in my head, but I have had a few actually written down. Trevor told me that guys don't think about that stuff. Then finally he was like, "well, there is one name I like....Brody Jay." I couldn't believe it. I had had both those names on my lists. Right then and there was when we decided what our first son would be named. That was nearly three years ago. I remember that conversation like it was yesterday. My good friend, Bailey, named her son Brody, but I figured our kids aren't the same age and they don't live in the same town so who cares? Plus, that name was like set in stone for us. It is the only name we have ever even really discussed for a boy.

Names are so interesting. I love the reasons behind why we are named then names we have. Trevor and I agreed that none of our kids would have a name that starts with a 'T'. That would just be too much. I'm also not a huge fan of naming our kid after anyone, but I do think that any or all boys that we may have will have middle names that start with a 'J' like their dad's. Other than that who knows what we will pick in the future!

7 comments:

K. Bitton said...

I am obsessed with baby names, especially since Glenn. I didn't think we would have to try and figure out any more boy names for a while but lo and behold we do. I have been trying to get a boy and girl name that we both agree on just for the future when we do get pregnant:) I like the name you picked by the way!

Erin said...

Fun to read. I wish that I already had my name picked out also. It's just totally stressing me out!! But you made me consider not giving my girls middle names. Keep giving me good ideas!

Kirsten said...

Hey, this is Mary Anne's sister...just doing a little blog hopping. We just named our baby Trevor and it's because my husband's first name is Robert and if you spell it backwards, changing the "b" to a "v", it's Trevor...kinda cool. And Brody Jay is cute!

kimber said...

Super cute name. Very boyish. I dig it. :)

Nicole said...

Cute name!

Stormy and Spenser said...

I like that name a lot, I haven't heard of a lot of Brody's either. Very cute :)

Shepherds said...

I love the name! My nephew is named Brody Dane. So I am all for your pick! Nice strong name. :)