Monday, June 16, 2008

Looking Back

Neither Trevor or I ever look back at highschool and relive the "glory days" as so many people do (especially guys who played sports), but the other night we pulled out our yearbooks and just spent some time looking back. It's really fun to do that once in a while. It's amazing the people that you forget that you went to highschool with. I seriously kept saying, "I wonder where he is?" or "I forgot that she was in school with me." It was really fun. I also pulled out the scrapbooks that I kept while I was in school and came across some fun pictures. Whenever people hear that Trevor and I grew up together they always ask if we dated in highschool. The answer is no. Not at all. Trevor would quickly add at this point that I did like him at one time though. But in my defense Trevor and I's ideas of dating back then were very different. You see, Trevor didn't even realize that girls were around much until he was like a junior in highschool. Even then he remained pretty focused on one thing.....BASKETBALL. If you couldn't find Trevor at the gas station buying himself a Dr. Pepper, you could almost always drive by his parents house and see him outside shooting baskets any time day or night. Girls just weren't a priority. I on the other hand was very different. I liked a different boy every week. So when Trevor says anything about me liking him in highschool I remind him that it lasted for maybe 5 days before I changed my fickle mind. Even when I did kinda start dating a guy it never lasted long because I grew bored and found stupid reasons not to like them like they called too much or they ate funny.....stupid stupid things that they never knew about.
Anyway, my sophmore year my parents allowed me to go to the sweethearts dance even though I wasn't quite 16. I went with two other couples, and it's kinda ironic because Trevor was part of our group. All three of the boys were on the varsity basketball team, and all of us girls were cheerleaders. We had a fun date, but because of other things that had gone on the night before the basketball team was in trouble and after their game they all got ripped for a few people's mistakes....needless to say I think we made it to the dance in time to take pictures and have like one dance. That kinda sucked.
I just laugh when I see these pictures because it's amazing at how much we have changed since then. Trevor dated the other two girls, but never me....had you told us then that we would someday get married we both would have laughed at you. I don't know that we ever would have dated after Trevor got home from his mission had we dated in highschool. Crazy how life happens though....

4 comments:

Erin said...

That really is funny. I love stories like this!! Oh, P.S. Happy Fathers Day to Trevor!!

Ben & Jessica said...

those pics are too funny! its fun to remember all the fun memories:)

Mary Anne said...

I love it! I was sad that I couldn't click on the pictures and make it bigger though...that's so crazy that you went to a dance in the same group...and that he even dated the other two girls in the picture. Hilarious. This sounds seriously so much like Dusty and I...only I really did like him growing up (like a lot...especially in middle school), but he never saw me more than a little sister and he NEVER asked me out. I am so glad too now that we never dated in HS because I really wonder if things would have worked out for us if we had. Plus we got to live and grow up without being attached at the hip...and I kind of like that too. You guys are so cute. How fun to look back and remember that.

kimber said...

Hey, question. When Trevor goes to the gas station to get a Dr. Pepper... does he still call it a "drink and a treat?"