Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

I dedicate this post to my husband. We may not have our little one here yet, but I still feel that he needs to know how good of a dad he already is.

  • I don't think that all husbands are initially excited about the prospect of having a baby. It entails a lot: less attention from the wife, someone else to provide for, huge responsibility, etc...but my husband was. I'll never forget lying on the couch one day before he left to bball practice and telling him that I thought maybe I was pregnant....that look was priceless.
  • I have been super excited about this baby, but I have also tried to curb it somewhat. I did have 9 months and lots can happen, but Trevor was so geared up and ready to go that he made me even more happy and excited about this baby.
  • He has put together TONS of baby things without complaint. We barely get home from the store with a new purchase and he already has it out of the box and tackles putting it together.
  • Trevor hates shopping for clothes, but when it comes to looking at clothes for Brody it's another story. AND he has picked out some cute stuff.
  • I have felt like I am a bad mom already because I so wanted a girl, and even though Trevor wanted a girl initially, he is the one that got the most excited about a boy, he is the one who has never thought twice about a girl since we found out we were having a boy. He is the one that says having a boy first is better anyway.
  • Even though my appointments have pretty much all been the same old boring stuff, Trevor has been to every single one that he could.
  • I'm ready to be done being pregnant but that is more for comfort reasons than anything else....my husband just said this weekend that he was ready for this kid NOW.
  • I know that my husband is going to be a hands-on type of dad. I don't think he will just pass off the parenting stuff on me. He is ready to do whatever.
  • This doesn't apply to being a good dad, but it does for him being a good husband; my body has become increasingly more unappealing but Trevor has been so sweet about it all. He reassures me that everything is okay, it's part of life, and just makes me feel better. So maybe him calming me down actually is beneficial to this baby growing inside me.
  • One huge thing that Trevor has already been doing: he is our family's provider. He works hard and puts in long hours. It is something that he was doing for he and I, but it seems like so much more now knowing that he is doing it for our child now too.
  • Trevor is a strong priesthood holder. Something that I didn't have in my home growing up always. He will bless our baby and be able to give our family blessings that we otherwise wouldn't have if he wasn't a priesthood holder.
  • Lastly, and something that means a lot to me...Trevor works hard and does overtime so that I can be at home with Brody. I don't know what better thing he can be doing as a Father than that. I think it seems a little unfair sometimes, and I even feel a little guilty for being at home (especially right now), but Trevor does it without complaint. Plus, he WANTS me to be able to be at home for as long as we can possibly manage.

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there. You really don't know how much you are appreciated. Also, thank you to all the men out there who aren't father's but have been there as teachers, coaches, or neighbors to kids who have needed them.!

1 comment:

Erin said...

AMEN to that last part! Trevor is a good guy and seems like he will also be a great dad! I can't wait to see him in action.