Thursday, September 25, 2008

The New Me

I love being a mom, but I have to admit something....I have never felt so crappy about myself. I don't know what it is. I knew that my body would be forever changed, and mine really isn't so bad...but I just have no confidence anymore.

Whenever I'm shopping or out and about I see all these little mormon mommies, and I think, "Just because you're a mom doesn't mean you have to start looking like crap." Well my friends, I feel like I have hit that point. I have tried to look good, but there is just something going on in the back of my mind telling me otherwise.
I finally decided that I just really needed a change. I love short hair, and I have been wanting to cut my hair short...but I always think I look dumb once I do it. I thought about cutting it back when I was pregnant, but held off not wanting to make any hormone charged decisions that could only possibly lead to a breakdown.
So I did it. I cut my hair. It may not be a big deal to most people, but it was for me. Yeah yeah...hair grows back...but my hair was the longest it's ever been. I get compliments on how pretty my hair is all the time. I was really afraid of losing the one pretty thing about me. I swear we cut like 12 inches off!

The good thing is, I like this haircut. The girl that cut it did a good job. She didn't just lob it off and send me on my merry way. She helped me pick out something that would look good on ME, and I LOVE it! Plus, I can actually do it. It's not one of those times that it's cute in the salon and then too hard to do at home.
(Disclaimer: If you think that my hair looks like trash, that's your opinion and you can feel free to keep it to yourself. However, if you are one of those do-gooders who thinks they are doing the world a favor by giving compliments whether or not they are actually sincere, don't leave a comment here. I HATE false compliments.)

19 comments:

Amy J said...

I love it! Honestly, its very flattering on you! I've been thinking about getting a new haircut, thaks for tempting me even more! I know what you mean about the whole confidence drop after having a baby, this looks great on you.

Margo said...

Hey Taytum, I was on Erin's blog and got a little crazy blog hopping. I just wanted to say your hair looks so good. I really do like it! I can't wait till mine is that long. I CHOPPED mine a while back like the Victoria Beckham "do" and have been in serious pain trying to grow it back. ;) I love yours though and wish mine were that long! Your baby is seriously a cutie.

Heidi Joncas said...

I really like it. No joke. It really flatters your face. Your hair was getting so long, your were so brave to cute it off! But I do however think it is funny that your short hair would be really long hair for me.
I so know how you feel about the bad self confidence drop after a baby. Just make sure you are doing things that make you feel better. I had a bunch of weight to lose and even though I never worked out seriously hard, I went walking everyday. And I never took Bode with me. It was my time. And free mommy time is definitely a necessity.

Matt and Liz said...

you look great taytum! it's a really cute do.

Erin said...

I really don't think anyone could NOT like this hair on you! I love love love love it! You look really good.

K. Bitton said...

Your dang cute hair cut makes me want to cut mine too! (I'm waiting for the hormonal reason too) It looks great on you! After each baby I have felt the same way...pretty sure it's normal=)

Bailey said...

I really love it. I already told you that. No add a little "SPICE" in there, like some RED peek-a-boos! hehe. Jk. but i really like it.

Kachelle said...

you crack me up cus i totally agree with you!!!! it's hard to feel cute when you have spit up and poo on you and you don't remember when your last shower was and none of your clothes fit right cus you're in a totally different body now!!!! but don't worry. that doesn't mean your not cute! poo covered shirts can be trendy. i love love LOVE the hair. you look like a hot mama!!!!

Julie said...

K, so I have only checked it out like fifteen times today to keep my courage up to cut my tonight! I so hope it's cute like yours. I have wanted to for sooo long, so thanks for the extra nudge. I love it, it's dang cute!.. and don't worry I'll probably look at it fifteen more time before 4:30!

Clint and Tiffany said...

Oh, Taytum! You're so funny! Love the hair, love the emotional blurb, love the honesty that so many of us try to pretend doesn't exist (I mean, we all wish we felt fabulous after having a baby, but let's face it, you've been stretched out for the last 4 months or so and that seriously can work a number on your self-esteem!). So, don't worry, we've ALL been there at SOME point or another after having our babies! You look awesome, by the way, so don't sweat it!

Shepherds said...

SOO I TOTALLY KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! I myself cut my hair off. Kysonwas always getting into in ONE but I needed a change. I needed somehting to make me feel sexy or pretty even again. But I didn't change the color much..because I plan to do a TOTAL makeover if and when I get some of this weight off of me. You are not alone in feeling that way hun and let me tell you this whole heartedly YOU LOOK AMAZING!! :)

Stormis said...

haha I love your disclaimer! But believe me, I think your hair looks super cute! :)

123123 said...

I'm not one for giving false compliments... but at the same time, not sure how anyone can tell if someone is giving a false compliment, especially in a blog posting.
But seriously, your new cut looks fabulous!!
I wish I could find a good stylist that would help me with a flattering cut that wasn't too hard to style myself. I too am waiting for the hormones to go somewhat back to normal so I can get some hi and lo-lights added in. I need a serious change!!

Anonymous said...

OK MY Opinion... Its soo cute on you! It seriously makes your face look skinny! Im jelous! But my last hair cut going from long to short was just about your exact same length and hairstyle. It was fun to do with the layers and all. You'll love it more and more Im sure!! Beautiful Girl!!

Kelsey and Dallas said...

loooove it!! no I am so happy you found my blog! but i dont really know how to add ppl. i mean i know how to add it to my list of friends but does it tell you i added you or anything? how do ppl know when i add them? only when i leav a comment and tell them? hah so many questions! well send me your address so we can send you an invite! :)

Bon said...

taytum, cute hair! totally suits you! and the feeling like a horribly uncute, blah mom will pass. my advice, buy a couple new clothes (even if you're in your "in between" size of pregnancy and pre-baby). Always get ready when leaving the house, although you will always be tempted to not. Eventually your self-esteem will get better and you will feel cuter, you just have to get the hang of the whole mom thing first. Don't stress yourself out over it. Brody is worth the sacrifice of feeling like crap for a little while.

Jaime said...

I LOVE it! It definitely flatters your face and brings out your eyes and cheeks.

Class and Sass said...

NO, Seriously! you look great!! Yeah for Hot mama's like us lol!

Michelle Ashton said...

Ok~ How do you know Margo? That is my cousin?! :)