Thursday, July 24, 2008

No More Ladders!

It's that time of year that I usually love....it's the 24th of July! The Pioneer Days Celebrations! I always have enjoyed everything until this year. It has just been one thing after another. Part of that is our own fault because we are in charge of the dances that run all three nights for the third year in a row. I didn't want to do the dances at all this year because I am about ready to pop, and I had planned on hiding from the public. Trevor said no that we needed to do it for at least one more year. I think that was the beginning of all our problems....
The last two years it seemed like we had countless people offering to help and things just worked out. This year has been quite different. No one would help in any way. Trash bags weren't provided for the trash cans, we had a hard time getting a band, one bishop wouldn't help chaperone...or even find someone to do it, and then there was the light hanging....
Normally the building that is used for the dances is cleaned for us and then someone from the county and some prison workers come and hang our lights and orange fencing to section off the building. Well, we tried to get a hold of the county worker and he never answered his phone. Trevor decided that he could do the lights and everything himself on his day off on Monday. I told him to wait and get help from his dad and brother, but he didn't want to wait. He got a ladder and got busy. It wasn't an 'A' frame ladder, it was an older (rickety in my opinion) ladder that you lean. I told him I didn't think it was safe, and he knew it wasn't as well, but he just was trying to get some of the work done so we wouldn't have to rush and do it all at once.
Trevor was about 10 to 12 feet in the air and no one was around but me. I was across the building and couldn't do anything really to help, but watch. I swear the whole incident was in slow motion. Trevor pulled on the wire he had too hard or something and the whole ladder began to slide down. I instantly started to freak out! I couldn't do anything to stop my husband from potentially killing himself. Trevor kind of braced himself as far as I could tell and fell the whole way down. I think it was lucky that he stayed on the ladder, because I think it could have been worse. The ladder came down with Trevor and I went running and screaming and crying towards Trevor. He instantly got up, but it wasn't good. He was in shock. His head had hit the ladder and was bleeding, but I couldn't see any other damage. He had knocked the breath completely out of him and I thought he for sure was going to have broken ribs. Trevor fell back onto the ground and I am hysterical. I am trying to clean up his head and I can't call anyone because my phone had just died. I pulled out Trevor's phone out and called his dad, but he was in Show Low. Trevor called his mom and she came as fast as she could.
We load up and Trevor is in severe pain. We don't know what is wrong. I am in disbelief that he is alive. I knew though as soon as Trevor had first stood up that he was going to be okay. I just had a feeling. We went to the dr.'s office in town and they said that he had to go to the emergency room. In came the ambulance and off Trevor went to Show Low. I couldn't ride in the back with Trevor, so I rode with his parents over.

Trevor is admitted and I go back with him. The doctors there checked him out, but soon decided that he didn't have a head or neck injury. That had been the main concern of the doctor here. The left side of Trevor's body however seemed to have caught on the edge of the ladder and he was sore up and down his left leg. They did x-rays and checked him out, but again....nothing was wrong! It was a miracle. He got really banged up and has cuts and bruises on his head, arms, and legs, but nothing else! He is extremely sore everywhere though. The next morning he told me the only thing that didn't hurt were his toes.
Talk about someone watching out for us. It was by far the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life. All I could think was about what I would do without Trevor. I can't hardly think about it without becoming extremely emotional. We are just getting ready to start a new chapter of life, and I can't imagine doing it without my husband.
We got back from the emergency room and still had lights to hang, but do you think that anyone besides our own parents even offered to lift a finger to help? Nope. People who knew about it were like, "Are you okay? Oh, well we are so glad." But nothing. No help. Needless to say, I feel very burned out by the whole thing. This is SO our last year to do the dances for the 24th.

6 comments:

Joey & Tiffanye said...

Oh my heck, Thats so scary. He is so beat up! I hope he is feeling better. And that you guys can get the dances all done with some kind of help

Heidi Joncas said...

Ahh scary! I am glad he only has bruises. I remember when we moved up from Thatcher Jer fell about 9' head first out of the back of a loaded truck. I found him with the air knocked out of him on the ground. Plus I can't believe you can't get anyone to help you! Some one help the pregnant lady!!

Mary Anne said...

oh my gosh taytum! i am so glad he is okay (well for the most part...)this is really not the time that you want your husband getting badly injured! holy cow I can't believe that no one helped you out. that is just ridiculous. I seriously can't believe those bruises on his legs...poor guy.

well time is ticking...it looks like you had a great baby shower! it's always nice to finally have some things and feel like this baby isn't going to come home to nothing.

Angelic Kelli said...

Those bruises are such a beautiful color! LOL Really glad to hear Trevor is ok...stubborn boy!!

Typical St. Johns...of course that is coming from someone who is a bit bitter about that place. :)

Reisner's said...

I just found your blog on Lindsey's blog. Holy cow what a scary experience!! Thankgoodness he is ok. besides that insodent you look like you are doing good. Congrats on the little baby. I love the name Brody!

kimber said...

That is dang scary. And painful looking. Glad he is okay!
And I got your post about OCD - I hear ya! Laundry has to be done a certain way - bedtime routines have to be done a certain way - totally. Not lame at all. Just very OCD. :)