Sunday, March 16, 2008

Married Life

I begged Trevor to let me post this, and he finally gave in with a very grudging attitude. I just want to point out before I tell this story that men and women are SOOOO different. Married life can be a challenge or you can just laugh at it all. For this instance, I just laughed.

The other night I was making dinner, and I had everything started when I realized I didn't have any pork 'n' beans. This particular meal always has pork 'n' beans to go with it, and I just didn't want to have it otherwise. I was on the phone while trying to make dinner, so I poked my head into the family room and asked Trevor to run to the store for me. He was watching t.v. and really didn't want to leave. I specifically said, "will you please go to the store and get me a can of pork 'n' beans. We are all out."

I turn everything down low so that it will all get done at the same time. Trevor arrives back home and what has he brought? One can of refried beans! I was a little annoyed and told him I needed the other. He said, "oh well. I'm not going back." I was so frustrated so I said I would go, but he had to watch the food.

As I am driving to the store I am really not thrilled with Trevor. I think to myself why would I want refried beans? I did tell him what kind to get, PLUS he knows that pork n beans go with that meal. Why would he pick up refried beans? Furthermore, wouldn't common sense come into play and make you think, "hmm....we don't have any more pork n beans (or refried in Trevor's brain) maybe I should grab a few cans so that we don't have this problem next time?" Apparently only a woman thinks this way.

On my way home I just start laughing about the whole thing. I mean really how stupid could it all get? I ask Trevor the above questions and he tells me he didn't even think about it because he didn't really care and had been annoyed with me for asking him to go. Then he says, "you only said 'a can'. " In his defense, I did.

Men and women just don't think anything alike, but it's probably a good thing most of the time. Just not that day!

5 comments:

Bailey said...

i still laugh about it, chris would do the same thing...except he would probably stop at a fast food restaurant and eat so he wouldn't have to eat my food...punk face! and its much much funnier told BY you over the phone, you crack me up. And BTW, I had NO idea about jordan whitings blog...nor had I ever seen what his wife looked like.

Nicole said...

Too funny! That happens all too often at our house:) In the first couple of years of marriage, I tried to change & train Shane. That was hopeless, I learned to just do it all myself.

Matt and Liz said...

lol your funny taytum. i know all too well what you are talking about ;)

Mary Anne said...

i love those moments when you just have to think "do we speak the same language?" because really sometimes the answer is a big fat nooooo. This was funny.
P.S. I took a 16 week picture but it's totally lame/ugly/etc. and I can't bring myself to post it. My life seems so unbloggable lately!

Erin said...

Oh just feel lucky that he went! Even though I would be annoyed about the wrong can too, Jace gets SO crabby about doing things like that for me that I never even ask him anymore unless I'm totally desperate! And even then I usually give in and do it myself. Why can't they think more like us?