Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Little Fish

It's amazing to me how much my world has seemed to change and yet be so much the same since we found out we were going to have a baby. How can something so tiny make such an impact? Who knew that brushing your teeth would be such a chore? I have been so lucky to hardly be sick at all. There has been upset stomachs here and there, but little to know throwing up. However, I don't know that I will ever be able to brush my teeth like a normal person again...it causes severe gagging every time. Trevor laughs every time he sees it.

Initially I thought of the baby as a bean. He/She (most likely he, let's be honest) has now graduated to being called the little fish. Trevor hates this and reminds me that it is NOT a fish, it's a human being. I know this, but it's not much bigger than a fish and it is swimming around in there, right?

Two weeks ago, I thought I wasn't showing too much. It has changed already. I finally broke down and bought two maternity shirts. I'm not a big fan, but I don't live where I can get them at anytime so I bought them. I feel that they make me look bigger than when I wear my normal clothes. That seems backwards to me.

I haven't talked about my latest dr. appointments, but they have been good. I went in a week earlier than I was supposed to because I was so sick with a cold and they were concerned about my fever. Of course, the fever was gone when they saw me, and I felt like an idiot for going in. Things were good though. I can't believe how much easier it was for them to find the heartbeat this time. It's amazing how in three weeks time, the baby had grown and they could find the heartbeat way faster! I go in again on Tuesday, and I think I am going for a check-up and more blood work (yuck), but no sonogram. I am going to try and do some serious convincing. I'm sure I won't win....It'll probably be three more weeks from that until we find out if our fish is a boy or girl. We have yet to have a sonogram of any kind and my doctor has never really measured me so there is still a possibility that there is more than one fish.....that could be interesting.

Finally, and probably the most exciting: I am fairly certain that I have been feeling the little fish lately. I noticed it when I was in bed a while ago. I felt something that felt like gas, but I didn't have gas so I wasn't sure what was going on. I have noticed it more and more each day. I knew that I would be feeling the baby sometime soon, so I thought maybe it's just wishful thinking. I don't feel it so much when I am busy doing stuff because it's so faint that I don't have time to pay attention, but I feel it more and more like when I am sitting or not moving around a lot. Last night I was talking to Trevor about it and as I did I felt these little flutters...I counted seven in a row. It is so weird!

I really haven't felt like this whole thing is "real" yet. Up until about this week my body has been about the same, I haven't felt anything, we haven't seen the kid, we don't know what "it" is, and so that is part why I refer to it as the little fish, because I can hardly believe there is SOMEONE inside me growing every day!

9 comments:

Erin said...

Don't worry, before long your little fish will feel VERY real! Like when it gets so big that it's pushing up against your ribs and they get sore. I'm not a huge fan of maternity shirts either. They just look kinda frumpy... but what can you do? You should buy some pants though!! Oh my word, I love maternity pants. I think I'm going to still wear mine after I have the baby, just because they are really comfortable.

Ok, so this comment is getting long, but whatev! Is someone throwing you a baby shower up there? Are you going to register anywhere? I want to get you a gift.

I can't wait to find out for sure that you are having a GIRL!!!!! Everyone is having girls, so I'm convinced you are too, and you're not going to convince me any other way! You better call me when you find out.

Erin said...

You always call me while I'm at work freak! Haha. I need to start carying my phone with me more... or turning the volume up.

Amy J said...

Taytum, I am SO excited that you are pregnant. I can't wait to for you to find out what baby Waite is! Isn't feeling them move the greatest?! Just wait til they get the hiccups or decide to use your stomach as a punching bag or your bladder as a soccer ball! Through it all it is wonderful! And it is so true about maternity clothes, they totally excentuate (spell???)the fact that you are pregnant and make you look bigger. I hated maternity pants, but liked the shirts, I guess I'm the odd one!

Mary Anne said...

Okay can I say amen and ditto to the not being very sick but gagging every stinking time I brush my teeth? that is SOOOO me...and I don't think it's going to go away. I thought for a while...oh when I'm out of the first trimester things will be better. Uh...no. I still gag to the point of throwing up when I brush. It's not that I'm nauseous...just gaggy! it's pretty annoying.

Well I am looking forward to your next belly picture...I'm like so excited when I see one. That's weird.

Stormy and Spenser said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I agree that it's so weird that someone is growing inside of you! Everytime my sisters are pregnant and I feel them kick it just blows my mind! But its the coolest thing! I can't wait to hear if it's a boy or a girl!

Julie said...

Woo HOoooo!! I loved feeling the baby. I wasn't a person who thrived on pregnancy, but that is something I loved and when I hear that, it almost.. only almost... but almost makes me wish we were having a new one! Can't wait for you to feel little fish even more and for you to put a gender to um.. it..she.. he!!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to start feeling my "little fish"...I haven't had to wear any maternity clothes yet...but everyone can sure tell that I'm pregnant! I have bought a few lose, flattering shirts the last few weeks...and I'm excited to buy maternity pants, I heard they're the best! Goodluck!

Mary Anne said...

okay so I just like to see pictures of growing bellies in general...although it really is fun to see the very first changes, but no it is definitely not because I am staying small! I just don't know when I'll be able to pass this body off as a "baby bump" or whatever it is they call it. trust me...I saw a picture of myself that we just took tonight, and wanted to vomit. Mainly becasue I know it isn't the baby...it's just me. It's bad...and I'm officially going walking for an hour tomorrow morning.

Lisa said...

That is kind a funny. I'm laughing at the brushing your teeth thing. I find it so interesting the different things people crave, slash cant stand when their pregnant.