Friday, February 29, 2008

Salsa from Cans

One thing that I can eat every single day is chips and salsa. I especially love homemade salsa. Unfortunately I am as white as you can get and I suck at making it! I have tried several recipes and I can never seem to get it right. It's usually the consistency that I don't get right. I like mine to be a little more watery and not so chunky and it is a lot easier to say how I like it, than it is for me to do it.A while back I got a super easy recipe for salsa. I have made it once, but I think I took it to something so I never really ate it. On Valentine's the kids at school were having games and food and I thought I would contribute with some chips and salsa. Plus, what better way to help the raging horomones on a day like V-day then to supply the 7th graders with bad breath? Some of you may think that they are only 7th graders so they can't seriously have valentines, but you have no idea....

Anyway, this turned out pretty good. The kids loved it. Surprisingly the kids that liked it most were the mexican kids (please all you anonymous readers of my blog who have felt the need to comment in the past, I do NOT mean this in any way shape or form as a racist/rude or whatever comment) who get it at home all the time! You know that if they liked it, it must not have been half bad.
Here's what you need:
1 bunch of green onions
1 can (yellow) of El Pato
2 cans Rotel original (make sure you don't get the hot)
2 cans Rotel w/ Limon

Directions:
Dice up onions and put in food processor or blender with the can of El Pato. Blend until onions are obliterated. Next add in your Rotell. I do 2 cans at a time (one original and one with the Limon). Blend until it reaches the consistency you like. Serve with chips!

This recipe definetly has a kick to it without even getting the hot rotel, so be safe until you have tried it! After I had poured mine into a bowl I even added about 1/2 cup of water and mixed it in with a spoon just to add more and make it not so hot. It really is good, but if any of you have other recipes for salsa I am up for trying new ones, even if I suck at it, I will try it once.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erin said...

I will definitely try this! I love homemade salsa... but like you, haven't been able to make it just how I like it.

Because I'm nosy... did someone leave another anon. comment on this post?

Lisa said...

that looks pretty dang good!! I'm gonna have to try it.

The Graham Crackers said...

Of course I remember you! You were the hillarious, crazy girl from St. Johns. jk! and no, I don't think you're nuts, I'm glad you found me, I love talking to old friends and seeing what they're up to. Congratulations on being prego! Do you know what it is yet? What are you guys hoping for, or do you not care? That's so exciting. Being a Mom is the greatest and I'm sure you'll be a great one. :) oh and that salsa looks really good, I'm going to have to try it. and if you want try another recipe, I have one that's pretty dang good too. It's kind of long and my comment is already a novel, so let me know if you want it.

The Graham Crackers said...

Yeah a girl would be so fun! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys.
So this salsa recipe I have is:
1 bunch of green onions
1 lg can of whole peeled tomatoes
1 small can diced green chiles
2 tbl spoons cilantro
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
18-22 squirts of Red Devil (medium spicy, add more if you like it really hot or less if you don't, whatever)
you just combine all the ingredients in a blender and barely blend for thick salsa or you can blend longer for runnier salsa. Let me know how it goes.