Thursday, January 31, 2008

Baby Names

In light of being pregnant and hearing the plight of some of my other pregnant friends I have really started pondering over the seriously huge job of naming a baby. Whoever thought it could be so rough? If you don't want to hear the ramblings of a crazy pregnant woman please do not read any further! This is my warning to you. None of it makes sense and it is completely random, but it's just something I have been thinking about.
  • Is there really such a thing as stealing a name? I mean honestly, let's say you name your kid Brooklyn. Do you really think there aren't thousands of other kids named that across the country? So how can I steal it, if it's been taken half a million times?
  • On the flip side of that though, what if you picked out a name somewhat unique and you told your friend/family and they were pregnant too and then decided to use that name. Is it then stealing? Or is it not?
  • I'm all about original names, but really do you want to name your kid something that everyone is going to say, "What?" after they say it. I once knew a girl named Echo.....I am not kidding.
  • When naming a baby how much honor does it do to your ancestors if you choose an older name that is going to cause the kid to get the crap kicked out of them every day until they hate it? I love my grandma so so so much, but I don't think I'll be naming my kid Peggy any time soon.
  • I don't care how it may sound, but I will never name my kid something and then call the kid by it's middle name. That is so confusing. Try working at a school too.......
  • Ethnic names are okay if you are ethnic. I knew a white kid named Juan. Something is wrong with that picture. I could never name my kid something like Sha-nay-nay. I'm white, my hubby's white.....pretty sure the kid isn't going to come out black.
  • Isn't it funny how one name can be so cool to me, but awful to another? I'm so glad it works that way. Can you imagine how many Ashley's or Matthew's this world would have if we all liked the same stuff?
  • In all our efforts to be original we have gone crazy on the way we spell names! There is a girl I teach named Cassie, sounds normal, right? Nope, you say it Casey.
  • Names that rhyme with bad words are never good. I like the name Cooper, but someone said one time, "pooper cooper," and I also heard "coop the poop". It's not my favorite anymore.
  • Boy names for girls is so cute in my mind, but I find it disturbing when a big guy tells me his name is Kelly. Why is that?

You were for-warned of this entry. I hope no one is offended, but can you imagine how much this weighs on a person. The name or names you pick are what your kid is stuck with forever! How is that supposed to make an alreadly going crazy person like me feel?

9 comments:

Mary Anne said...

You're so funny...like I literally laughed out loud while reading this.

K. Bitton said...

OK I don't like to read what other people write in comments until I have written mine because I like my comments to be heart felt. Anyway, I just typed "you are so funny!" and looked to my right and decided not to. I really enjoyed your post. Picking a name is tough work. Good luck! :)

Foy Funny Farm said...

Hey darlin! So cool about hearing the babies heartbeat.. I can't wait til the day I am that nurse finding the heartbeat but even better when I am listening to my own babies heartbeat.. That is so awesome! I'm sure you will find an amazing cute name... Love ya! I need some St. Johns Pepsi so I need to come!

Gina Lee said...

Here is just a thought. Name your kid what YOU want to name him/her. Dont listen to who else likes the name...has the name...doesnt like the name, or whatever else reason us women feel compelled to not name a child a name we like. Find one you like, that goes with your last name...luckily you have a pretty simple one. Just dont name him Cant! JK! Totally had to throw that one in there. I get made fun of ALL the time with names I need to name my children, so I was feelin a little left out. haha. Also, it doesnt matter what you name your kid, kids are mean and will find a way to make fun of them whether it rhyms with their name or not. Good luck! lol

Felisha & Paul said...

Hey! I read some your blogs and they always make me laugh. Good luck on finding a name. And can I get Spenser's address from you?
Thanks

Erin said...

FUNNY FUNNY! I have had some of these same thoughts. SHA-NAY-NAY? Jace's dad wants us to name our girl, Lathonga! He's joking of course. So... I'm obviously not going to call you back tonight (It's 11:30!). We just got home a little while ago and I'm dead tired and don't know why I'm blogging cause I really do need to go to bed. I'll call you tomorrow.

The Ray Family said...

K here's my take on it. I think you should be able to name your kid anything you want even if someone you know really close has that name. Who cares!!! Eventually the kids gonna grow up, move away, and have a family of his own so who cares if they have the same name lol. My only thing is, if you have a name picked out and someone close to you is pregnant at the same time says...hey that sounds good and says i'll name my kid that too, I think thats messed up. Even they end up naming their kid the same thing and they didn't know about it, then thats ok. Did my logic make sense?

Anonymous said...

haha your HILARIOUS! I LOVE IT!!
SOO TRUE HUH!!

Creative Corner said...

I am cracking up right now. I love reading your posts! Good luck with names, we cant ever figure it out, even leaving the hospital we still wonder!