Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Heartbeat

Today we had my second doctor's appointment. Trevor and I both went. First off I do have to say that although I can feel my body growing and changing I was glad when they said that I have not gained weight. I have been really worried that since I am so hungry lately that I have been indulging myself and that I will put on too much weight at the beginning. But I'm proud to report that I haven't.

The nurse got us in and pulled out the little thing to hear the heartbeat with. She kept moving the microphone thing around and around. There was no noise. I started to panic a little bit. I thought that they just put it on there and then you hear it. I guess that is not the case. It took a minute or so, but that seemed so long to me. Finally there was this one noise and I asked her if that was it and she said, "No that's the placenta." But then right after that you could hear the babies heartbeat. A little tear slid out of the corner of my eye, but I held it together for the most part. I felt the urge to just burst into tears when the nurse left the room, but I didn't.

Everything looks really good. The heartbeat was really strong. Trevor has joked that there would be two so we made sure to ask that it was only one and she said that it probably was only one, but that machine probably wouldn't pick it up. A lady doctor came in and felt around my stomach and said that she thinks I am measuring really well and they she would maybe put me a few days ahead of what they originally thought. I was asked a few questions and she said I was doing great. I am a very low risk pregnancy, and I am so grateful to hear that!

I can't believe it. On our way home I started to really think about this baby. It really isn't much bigger than a bean and yet you can hear that teeny tiny heartbeat. Isn't that just amazing? Now my bean isn't just a bean. It's so real!

7 comments:

Heidi Joncas said...

Oh what a nervracking but exciting day! I am so glad to hear everything is going great!

Amy J said...

I almost cried just reading this! It reminds me of the first time I heard Payton's heartbeat...and don't be suprised if it takes awhile to find your baby's heartbeat at each appointment! Payton was a stinker and moved a lot so it was always tough to find it, but it was always strong! And I don't think it's wrong to want a girl so bad! They are more like a mini you! I think you are having a girl :) I can just picture you with a little, big brown eyed girl!

Matt and Liz said...

having a baby is AMAZING!! i'm so excited for you guys.

Erin said...

I think you're having a girl too! I really do. HOW FUN that you got to hear that. That was such a fun appointment for me too. It just makes it REAL. And your baby is just a bean now, but trust me, your baby will grow really fast over the next few weeks! I was so amazed at the fact that all of a sudden, my belly just shot out. It's so crazy to see. Just enjoy wearing your normal clothes while it lasts! I hate shopping for maternity pants.

Shepherds said...

Yay for the heartbeat! Its so much fun!

123123 said...

I am so excited for you!! I totally think you're having a girl too! You're going to be such a great mom!!

Mary Anne said...

TAYTUM! This is so so exciting! I can't believe how it works, but I'm glad to hear everything is good and normal. I can't wait to keep hearing all your updates...that is so much fun!