Monday, May 28, 2007

Congrats, Birthdays, and Goodbyes


My family has been so busy lately! I know that this time of year is that way for everyone but it has just been nuts it seems. First things first: Kade graduated from 8th grade on Thursday. He was announced in the top 10 of his class and that came as no surprise. We were so proud of him. We had kinda figured he would make it there, but we were almost positive he wasn't the valedictorian or salutatorian. We decided to break the news to him before graduation so that he wouldn't be expecting it and then be crushed when he got it. BUT my mom and I were wrong! They called up the top ten and then gave a little spill about how there were two that excelled above the rest, and then called Kade's name as salutatorian! We were so shocked! Even he paused on stage. I have always been considered the "second mom" and so when the kids do well at something or are hurt or anything I feel like I share the excitement or pain as much as a mom would. Needless to say it wasn't any surprise that my mom and I started crying out of pride and joy for Kade. He has done so well. We are so proud!






Saturday our family put together an open house for Spenser. It was really nice because people could come and go and eat with us without infringing on family time. People were just passing out money left and right to Spenny. It was so nice, and such a blessing.


Sunday was Spenser's farewell talk and he did really well. Especially because he didn't prepare until late saturday and early Sunday. His talk was on temples which was perfect because he has gone so much. It was a topic he handled with ease. I was pleasantly surprised with how together he was. It made me realize how grown up he really is. Afterwards we had a luncheon at my mom's in honor of my birthday and just so we could spend some extra time together.



Today was a day of hanging out without anybody besides our immediate family for most of the day. It has been really pleasant and fun.


Tomorrow is the BIG day. Spenser leaves for Brazil! It seems a little anti-climatic because he is just getting dropped off at the Show Low airport, but he doesn't seem to mind. I can hardly believe that this day has finally come. We Love you ELDER GARNER!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Isn't it so fun to have a missionary? I'll tell ya what, Jace's brother is on a mission and even though it's my brother in law, I feel so excited and proud of what he is doing! These boys are having amazing experiences. I'm sure you're brother will do great. Speaking of missionaries... when does Preston get home? Soon, isn't it? Tell him hi for me when you see him!

P.S. I haven't had a chance to talk to you about it yet... wasn't the last Spurs/Suns playoff game dissapointing? I threw a fit!

Bailey said...

Wow! Crazy that Kade graduated. I remember coming over to your house and Taylor and Kade would always follow us around...and they were LITTLE! Congrats to him tho! And Spenny...wow! Congrats to him, he'll be awesome!

P.S. Any BABY news yet?

Ben & Jessica said...

yeah he leaves so soon! June 13th! Ben & I of course cant go up to Utah with the fam since we have work, but we get to hang out with him one more weekend (the weekend of his farewell which is the weekend before he leaves)...my little sister graduated 8th grade too! (she is actually in the background of the one with ur bro!)

Nicole Mineer said...

I can't believe he leaves, that is crazy. It will fly by though. Trevor went to Brazil and loved it for the time he was there anyways. It will be such an awesome experiece in his life.

Ben & Jessica said...

oh thats great! my parents hardly got any! do u think u could email me the ones you took? (if they are digital) my email address is jessmarie_14@hotmail.com

Jaime said...

So are you even a bit jealous that I spent another hour with Spenser after he said his goodbye's to you guys??? Just teasing. He'll make an awesome missionary. Oh, I forgot to tell you his last words. "I better come home to a niece or a nephew." You heard the man...get to work!