Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pioneer Days 2011

Every summer one of the things we look forward to around here is our 24th of July celebration, Pioneer Days. Last year, and a couple years before that I did NOT get excited for the 24th at all because I was at the end of my pregnancies and looking pretty similar to Shamu so I absolutely HATED to see every skinny cutely clothed person that came home for all the fun. This year, I wasn't pregnant, but I also am not skinny and I don't have very many cute and new clothes but I decided not to care. I decided we WERE going to have fun no matter what!





On Tuesday and Wednesday night the fun had begun. There was the 3 on 3 basketball tournament as well as the volleyball tournament. Normally, Trevor gets dragged at the last minute into playing on someone's basketball team, but we just steared clear of the middle school where that was being held and watched the volleyball games. I love to go watch this. If I wasn't someone that benefits a team more by NOT PLAYING, I think this would be one of the most fun things to participate in. We stayed both nights until our sleep scheduled kids couldn't take being up any longer.



On Thursday, we skip the free swimming the pool offers because its crazy busy and just went to the chili bean/cornbread dinner for $2 a plate and then the FREE ice cream social. In years past, we haven't wanted to wait in line for the ice cream so Brody has never had an ice cream cone at the social before. This wasn't going to happen this year. Brody got his first ice cream cone all to himself, and Ry may have had a lick or two as well!
On Friday, we went ahead and braved the hot weather at the rodeo! In all the time Trev and I have been married we haven't ever gone to the rodeo. We took the boys, climbed the stands, got filthy, and tried to "cowboy up".....OKAY, not really....but we still had fun, flushed pink cheeks and all. That evening we played like the pioneers and circled our cars just like they did with wagons when they would make camp at the end of a day of traveling. Without fail its either super windy or rains while we eat dinner there. Somehow, someway, that didn't happen! Miracles DO happen! Our spot was basically on a ant hill though, and wouldn't you know Brody got bit? Not fun. You better believe he let us know that too.



Saturday came, and we were off to the parade. It seemed like an above average amount of kids were by us and between the older kids stealing candy right out from under the little kids hands, or parents grabbing it as fast as they could for their little kids, Brody got 1 sucker and we decided that was plenty. He was pretty pleased with the one sucker and didn't even care that we didn't get more. After a little rest we went to the rodeo again.



It seemed like our days were jammed full of fun things to do, and yet between all the activites we attended, eating with our families or hanging out with them, fitting in naps for the boys we still didn't go to everything! There were 3 dances (one was the teen dance) that we decided to completely forego, a steak fry, and a program. Somewhere along the line we even squeezed in a family photoshoot, where our kids behaved miserably (more of those pictures to come)! We went to bed exhausted each night and couldn't have imagined fitting more in!




Overall a very fun Pioneer's day celebration for the Waite's! Now we are just trying to adjust back to a normal pace of life!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love this celebration that saint johns puts on. it is always nice to come back and enjoy all the festivities. Well we were the big crew of people at the parade that kinda took over. thats what happens when you have such a dang huge family. sorry he only got a sucker. love your family photos they look awesome!

Jaime said...

Your pics turned out great!! And btw, when I saw you at the V-ball games I thought you looked cute!

Whitney said...

Ok 3 things to tell you..

1- I just stared at your family pics for like 5 minutes straight.. you are the hottest family.

2- I told jordan that you haven't lived until you've been to St Johns for the 24th celebration and eaten your beans..

3- I miss you!

Mary Anne said...

I have never been to an all out Pioneer Day celebration, and apparently I'm missing out! That sounded like a blast. Sometimes the heat and tired babies can make for a less than pleasant experience, but it sounds like you guys handled it well! I can't believe how much stuff they do! And cute pics, too! It's so nice to have someone who can do them for you...I think I'm ready for a real non-self-timer family picture. Ha ha.