Friday, July 15, 2011

My Blog

Because I don't journal, I blog. Because I blog, memories, days, moments, are written down and preserved. Because I wrote, I someday will print this into a book. Because I'll have a book, I hope future posterity will read and see what our family life was like.

I love to blog. I love to read other blogs. Just like we all have different personalities, we all have different styles of blogs. I love to see all the different ways people write, take pictures, raise their families, or even just the background choice of their blog.

Ultimately, my blog is for me and for my family....BUT....I do love having other people read my blog. One thing I aspire to do is have a blog that people really WANT to read. I take a little bit from others and try to apply it to my blog. I love a blog that is fun to read. Its nice when a blog has pictures, but a really good blog to me can stand up on its own without a bunch of pictures crowding the post. I also love a blog with beautiful pictures. I don't always love a blog that has so many pictures and no words to accompany them. I know, a picture is worth a thousand words, but I think words can set the tone or tell you things going on in between all the shots. I like blogs that are updated every few days but not one that I have to read on a daily basis.

Does anyone think about their blog as much as I do? Sounds dumb, but at night when it takes me forever to wind down and fall asleep one of the things I think about is the next entry for my blog. In the Anne of Green Gables books, Anne is always "imagining the whole story out in my head" or even whole conversations that a flower might have with another flower. I do this, but with my blog. I have some pretty clever posts imagined out, and then I wake up and its gone from my head. When I sit down to finally write its never ever as good as the first draft I had in my head!

Have you ever read a blog that you really enjoy? I have a lot of blogs to read, but right now I have two favorites. One is a friend that posts not only beautiful pictures, but something enjoyable to read. When she talks about her husband or kids it inspires me to want to be a better mom and especially a better wife. Despite being far away from home and in a foreign country she makes the best of the situation, where as I would be probably pouting about how rough things are. My other favorite blog is an old co-worker of mine. I probably loved working with her more than she enjoyed working with me because she always saw the humor in everything. Her blog is humorous and cleverly written. Reading it makes me feel like I still get glimpses into her life.

I want to be someone's favorite blog to read! I figure, if my blog is enjoyable to read for someone, than when its someday made into a book it will be enjoyable for my kids and family to read too. I want someone to be blog hopping and come across mine and think, "wow! This girl (I know I should say woman or lady but I can barely choke out those words because they sound SO OLD) has a witty way of writing. I love reading her blog!" This is something I aspire for.

Maybe someday I will achieve the kind of blog I hope to have, but for now it'll be a work in progress.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Good post. I'm a fan of your blog!

Mary Anne said...

Oh man I don't think you're the only one who thinks about your blog a lot! I'll write something, go to bed at night thinking about it WAY too much and then come and edit it in the morning. I worry too much about what other people think, and I feel like it's been totally lame lately. But I love to read your blog! You do a great job with it. And your posterity will LOVE to read it. Blog books are the BEST!