Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Root of all Evil

After getting way mad over nothing at Trevor on Sunday I realized what my real problem was.

I hate doing laundry. Its the never ending job. I had done 4 loads that day while running around trying to get me ready for church, Brody ready, get us fed, and several other things. I felt like I never slowed down the whole day. Instead of going to church ready to be spiritually uplifted, I went with a poor attitude and not wanting to listen.

We are told all the time to "remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy". I'm pretty sure doing laundry does not qualify as an activity that keeps the Sabbath day holy.

I could do laundry anytime during the week, except that on Sunday its off peak hours all day so its way cheaper. I don't have a fancy washer and dryer that can do a whole load in 40 minutes. The washer is a hand me down, and the dryer is a 10 dollar yard sale find thus making them not the most efficient. It takes a while to do our laundry.

So maybe, just maybe, I'm learning a new lesson that isn't anything really new to me. Maybe our church leaders know what they are talking about. Maybe if I made a little more effort to do my laundry during the week, one load at a time, I wouldn't spend all day sunday running around like a crazy person. Maybe I would go to church with a better attitude, and maybe I might get some much needed spiritual uplifting.

New goal: NO LAUNDRY ON SUNDAY (or at least only 1 load if I really really need it done)

6 comments:

Maui Mamma said...

off peak in the morning before 9 and after 8 at night. In cooler times I stick a load in at night and switch at 5 and do one before I leave for school.... I get it about Sunday and off peak.

Marcie Ashton said...

My kids are finally getting old enough to do their own laundry. (OK, they have been old enough for a long time-I've just gotten strict enough). It is fabulous. But truth be told, as I look into my bathroom, I still see a bunch of Ryan's dirty work clothes laying on the floor....You're right. It never ends...

Heather said...

Also off peak are all day on sat. well it is at least for me. so good luck with the laundry it is the worst thing to do out of everything i have to do. i totally feel your pain, haha!

123123 said...

I hate laundry also! I don't so much mind putting it in the washer... it's the switching and then folding that I dread. Around here I do laundry twice a week (2-3 loads at a time)- once usually Sun/Mon, and then again Fri/Sat. IF I do the laundry on Sunday, I throw it in after church and usually finish it Monday. And I have no idea what peak hours are...
But it's just laundry, don't let it stress ya out! I'm sure we won't be doing it in Heaven.

K. Bitton said...

I'm glad you learned that lesson! As soon as I stopped doing everything that's not absolutely necessary on Sundays it became my favorite day of the week. I don't have to do anything but get myself and kids ready, make a few sandwiches, and go to church! Plus I have Jeff to help me do those things, it's so nice:)

Mary Anne said...

Oh yeah...Sunday should totally be your day off! And the laundry of all things...girlfriend give yourself a break :) Ha ha I hate laundry too. But it's hard when you have those peak hours/days. Good goal though, for sure. Enjoy your upcoming Sabbath!