Sunday, May 04, 2008

2nd Trimester Wind-Up

Thursday was my last doctor's appointment while in my second trimester! Yay! I finally feel like I'm on a downward slope. Everything went well again. I got on the scale backwards and made sure to tell the lady not to tell me how much I weigh or even how much I have gained. Usually I take off my shoes before I get on because who wants to have any extra weight on the scale, but I didn't because I was wearing boots and it would have taken too much effort.

We moved on to the normal pee in the cup routine next. I swear I had to go so bad, but then when I actually went, barely anything came out. Typical. My blood pressure was taken and it was very good, again. It had been exactly the same the two times before, but this time it was just a little bit different.

I tried to talk them into giving me another ultrasound, but it's just not going to happen. It seems I'll only be getting one unless they think something is wrong. Dang....shouldn't I get rewarded for having a good pregnancy, by getting another little peek at the kid? I did get the next best thing, which is hearing Brody's heartbeat. He had been pretty mellow up to that point, but as soon as she put that thing on my belly he went nuts. He kicked the monitor thing the second she put it on me! It was so hard that you could actually see my whole belly move. We both laughed and then he did it again. Everytime she would get to wear we could hear his heartbeat he would kick or hit it so hard!!! He only lets mommy push and prod, I guess. It made me laugh so hard that she had to stop and wait for me to stop so she could actually count the heartbeat.

The nurse practitioner came in and felt up my belly to see how high my uterus is, and again she said that she thinks I'm just a little bit farther along than we thought, but no actual change of birth date yet. The nurse then let it slip how much I had gained. My first thought was, "oh man, I have worked so hard to NOT know." and then I thought, "holy cow, I have gained that much since my last appointment?" I know that I am a lot hungrier these days, but I have worked really hard to not just pig out and to not eat a ton of junk when I am hungry. But she then said that I was doing really good. That was all I had gained this entire pregnancy. It was kind of a relief, but I really don't want to know how much weight I've gained. I figure that is one less thing that I need to worry about right now.

Overall, it was a great visit. I'm doing so good apparently. My next visit is when they do the glucose test. I have to drink some nasty sugar drink and then get my blood drawn. The beauty of it that it will be my last blood test! Woot-woo. The nurse said I shouldn't be too concerned because my other blood tests have shown that I have a high blood count(??) and it should all be fine. After that appointment I'll be going every other week.

I can't wait. The countdown really begins now.

10 comments:

Amy J said...

The glucose thing isn't THAT bad, it's just that you have to drink it all in like a minute. I had the orange and it tasted like a melted popsicle or flat orange soda. I expected it to be horrible! And it wasn't. Isn't hearing their heartbeat the greatest!

Erin said...

LOVE the new look!! That's funny about him kicking the little heart beat monitor. He's got a little attitude! I really didn't like drinking the orange stuff for the glucose test, but like Amy said, it's not horrible. So I was looking at the little sono picture of Brody on the right side of your blog. He kinda looks like Trevor, huh? I can totally see the resemblence!

Stormy and Spenser said...

I'm so excited for you guys! Spenser sent back the memory card, i'm gonna send it to your mom tomorrow but he talks to you on there and says how excited he is that your having a boy! :) And p.s. I love what you've done to your blog, very cute!

Heidi Joncas said...

I cannot believe you are this far along!! Sounds like Brody has quite the little attitude. How fun!!

Julie said...

Holy Cow.. I can't believe it you are almost to the every other week appointments. Wow! Time flies.

K. Bitton said...

Congratulations!!! I hope you can stay pretty busy, the last 3 months seem to crawl by when I am not busy. Ya know what's cool is that Glenn actually looked like his 4-d picture we got of him...maybe it will be the same for Brody?? I am so excited for you! P.s. at least you have an excuse to gain weight right? It's always hard to see it come but most of it is the baby and you will go down especially if you walk after you have him. I didn't exercize until grace was 9 months old and once I did it seemed like my weight went down faster. I was told to remember that it took 9 months to put it on, you should give yourself at least 9 months to get it off. I know it sounds like a long time but it flies once the baby is born! I love reading your updates!

Matt and Liz said...

taytum you're funny.

Mary Anne said...

i can't believe you're in trimester number 3! time sure flies...i loved the heart monitor story. he sounds like a funny little guy! i love how they totally have little personalities already...at least I like to think they do. I have totally entered the stage of having to pee RIGHT NOW but then like two drops come out. what the heck?

Anonymous said...

haha! I have an appt next week and I'm also going to try go avoid finding out how much I've gained...but so far I've just stepped on the scale and they make me weigh myself. This time I might just not and make them walk over there and do it...I've been WAY hungry lately too, especially during the morning!

Shepherds said...

The drink isn't all that bad.It kinda tastes like FLAT orange soda.