Monday, May 16, 2011

Potty Training 2.0

Probably about a year ago we tried out the idea of potty training on Brody. He took to it unbelievably.....that is, for one day. After that it was a big no-go. For this year or so, the potty has always been out and visible. Before baths he would often use it. Sometimes he would take a fancy in his head to even use it for about a half a day and then the novelty of it would totally wear off. Potty training was too much work! It meant Brody had to think about going pee. It meant not being able to just go whenever without thinking about it. So without fail, after going on the potty for a few hours he wouldn't even just ask for a diaper back on, he would whine to get it back.




You know, once upon a time I thought that I never wanted more than one kid in diapers at a time. Once in a while, diaper duty on two kids can get old, but for the most part I haven't hated it. Diapers were just way easier than potty training. I cannot stand to clean up pee, or worse, poop messes! It involves lots of gagging on my part.




However, on Tuesday last week I realized we were running low on Brody's diapers so I just decided I was going to buckle down and do it. Trevor for weeks had been saying 'we really need to potty train him', but I'm pretty sure that "we" really meant "ME!"



But we pressed forward. I set the timer in my kitchen for 30 minutes and stripped Brody down naked for the entire day. When the timer went off I made Brody sit on the potty and go. He did it! Then I would set the timer again and we'd start all over. After each time he used the restroom he got a treat. It was usually only 2 M&M's or a small piece of chocolate, but when you are going potty every 30 minutes that really can add up. By the time Trevor got home I was totally worn out. Potty training is just as hard on mom as it can be on child! It definitely means NO leaving the house, talking on the phone for long, or doing basically anything besides potty business. Lucky for me, Trevor relieved the pressure and everyday when he would come home I would take off for about an hour and a half to just get a break!




Day 2 I made a chart. Brody loves stickers and getting rewards so this was perfect. For every pee he got 1 star sticker. For every poop 2 star stickers. Once he reached 6 stickers he then got a prize or treat. We even bought some glass jars with lids to put candy in for more incentive.



So far things have gone GREAT! On Tuesday, Brody stayed naked all day and had only one accident. On Wed, Thurs, Fri he got underwear and still had one accident per day, but only pee accidents so not too bad at all! On Saturday Brody went all day long without any accidents until we had to go to a reception, and he just got too caught up in everything and had an accident right before it was time to go home and go to bed. Sunday-not a single accident!!!! Can I get a hallelujah? Is there light at the end of this tunnel? I think, yes!

Our baby is taking more and more steps to becoming a big boy. He is still wearing a diaper at night, but he's in his undies all day and that is more than I could hope for, for now!

5 comments:

Clint and Tiffany said...

I SO hear you on the not wanting to potty train! Maelee is SO ready for it but I'm not! But when she's whipping off every single diaper she pees or poops in... that means it's time whether I'm ready or not!! We're actually going to go get her panties, chart, stickers and treats today and start Wednesday, after my many errands are finished up tomorrow afternoon. Are you totally finished with diapers? Night and nap too? I'm tackling it all at once. Good luck to you and wish me luck too!! :O)

Mary Anne said...

Ha ha Sadie and Brody seem to be right on the same page...we tried it right before she turned two and she did great, but it only lasted for a week or two and then she forgot all about it. It has been so much easier this time around...not as much of a chore. But between the stickers, princess potty, and cool pannies, she got it down. We still have an accident here and there, but it's totally bearable. Congrats to you! I know what you mean that sometimes diapers are just EASIER. Especially when you're traveling. Are you doing bedtime right now? I haven't done it yet...mainly because we don't have many sheets and I'm too chicken. Ha ha.

Shepherds said...

Yay for potty success!! Kyson loved the sticker rewards. It seemed that the toy incentive was to much and he just didn't care about the task at hand. Stickers were perfect!! Way to go mom!!

Heather said...

It is hard to go places cause it always happens to be when i have a cart full of groceries and have both kids and he needs to go. but TOTALLY worth the effort. so glad you stuck to it cause it is ruff on the mommy. keep it up brody!

Whitney said...

So cool!! Did you use that pottywise?