Thursday, April 16, 2009

One Protective Momma

From the moment Brody entered this world a whole new me has appeared. I always figured that I would be the protective type of mom, but I didn't realize that it would run like a strong electric current throughout my entire being. It could definitely be compared to that of a momma bear protecting her cubs. Mess with my kid, you mess with me.

I absolutely HATE being told how to raise my baby more than anything. You know, I know I have only been a mom for 8 months now, but I am positive that I am doing everything that Brody needs. I feel like it is completely natural to be a mom. I also believe that only a mom knows whats best for her baby. Each kid is different and everyone parents differently. I don't like being stopped and told that my kid shouldn't have a pacifier, or that its too cold and he should have on socks, or whatever....I'm the mom, I am doing okay thank you very much. Being a mom is my full time job, I do not come to your work and tell you what to do. Whether you've been a mom for 5 minutes or 58 years, everyone thinks they're an expert.

This Easter was Brody's very first, and I was pretty excited about it. Trevor and I...or maybe I should say the Easter Bunny got an Easter basket for Brody despite the fact that he's too little to have any of the treats that go in it. I mostly just wanted him to have a basket and to pull out the grass and play with the plastic eggs, and that's exactly what he did. The second he saw the basket he started crawling right to it. He had lots of fun. Our Easter plans weren't that big really. We ate lunch at my Aunt Gina's house with the few relatives that were in town. All of Trevor's brothers were home and we were able to spend some time with them out to dinner that night and then lunch at Trevor's parents on Sunday. That is when the protectiveness came out.
Like I said before, everyone parents differently and I am SURE that there are things Trevor and I do that some people may not like, but there are things that I would never do with mine. On Sunday when we were at Trevor's parents house we were waiting for lunch to be ready when one of our nephews walked up to Brody while he was sitting on my lap and just SPIT right in his face. I don't know that I have ever been so mad in my whole life! If he had not been moved out of the room I am not so sure that I wouldn't have caused some bodily harm to that 5 year old. I don't think I have ever wanted to kill a little kid until that moment. I was so angry. I know that if my kid had done something like that, excuse the term but, there would have been hell to pay. He for sure would have been swatted and definitely been put in time out or something, but our nephew got talked to in another room and then had to say sorry. That is how those parents chose to handle things, and really and truly that is there prerogative, but when your kid starts to hurt other people or damage other peoples things, I just think there should be more punishment than that.

Needless to say, I spent the rest of Sunday pretty ticked off, and then all day Monday every time I thought about it I would just fume. The more people times people tell me how to parent my own kid the more I realize how offensive it is, and I try not to tell others how they should do things so I didn't say one word, but I don't think I can promise to always bite my tongue if ANYONE ever hurts or does anything to my baby. I think that I will always be an extremely protective mom.

6 comments:

123123 said...

YES! I so agree with you! People around here let their kids come up and smack Ethan in the face, then they laugh thinkin it's "the cutest thing." Pisses me off! If it were my kid, he'd be in big trouble! But I think you're doin a fabulous job, and I even look up to you!!

Shepherds said...

I hear ya! I don't know what is wrong with people these days that they think that disiplining their kids is hard or something that can hurt them. I mean I was spanked and I turned out JUST fine!! Talking to your kids does NOTHING! I mean it depends on the severity of the situation but COME ON! I would have been LIVID too! I am VERY protective of my son. And I think that mom was way wrong in how she handled things.

Lindsey said...

Oh I got all fired up just reading about it!

The first time I yelled at a kid was a total stranger's kid who walked up and coughed all over my 7week old baby, and the mom did nothing!!!! YUK!!!

On a different note- I love how your writing is all passionate, and throughout it are random adorable pictures of Brody...made me giggle!

Mary Anne said...

oh you go taytum! i love the way you can just say how you feel about certain topics...because i totally agree but never know how to quite put it in words. i drives me absolutely CRAZY when i feel that i'm a worthless mother who must not know what she's doing because of what other people say about how i should do things with sadie.

ANYWAY...Brody looked adorable on Easter! You sure made the holiday fun for him...he's a lucky boy.

Marcie Ashton said...

Brody sure looks like Trevor in that picture of him swinging. 'Course I hate to say that because I can't stand when people say my kids are ALL Ashton. (That dang Leo Madrid). No matter what, he is a doll. (I'm sure he gets that part from you!)

Maui Mamma said...

I think spitting is one of the RUDEST things anyone can do. With that said, and I totally agree with your reaction, maybe there is an underlying problem they are dealing with that you don't know about. OR not.

That is why I teach HS< I feel like I can tellother kids what to do in public b/c they know me from school. I don't bite my tounge much. Come see me in action this summer at the park.

I AM that mean, "Sophie" mom.
and D*** proud of it.

IT takes a villiage, with some peoples kids.