Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Rice Cereal

At Brody's two month wellness check-up he soaked through the paper on the table with all his drool. Our pediatrician told us that that's a sign that baby can digest and start rice cereal. She suggested not to start right then, but she kind of left it open to us.

I certainly was in no hurry to start Brody on anything more solid, because to me that meant he was growing up...and momma's not ready for that. I'm also a believer that you don't have to do EVERYTHING by the book. It's not like Brody is going to wake up on his recommended 4 (or 6) month birthday and be like, "hmmm.....today I am ready for rice cereal, but yesterday I was too little." I truthfully think that as the mom I know my kid pretty well.


Not too long after our dr. appointment, we noticed that Brody was watching what we were eating and drooling and moving his mouth while we ate. So shortly after his 3 month birthday we broke out the cereal and gave it a try. I know, I know....gasps of horror are being heard all over as other mom's read this.....get over it....Brody LOVED it! He opened his mouth everytime the spoon came close, and even tried to get the spoon. When he gets fed now he grabs onto my hand and tries to "help" bring the spoon to his mouth. The doctor said if he wasn't ready he wouldn't be able to digest very well, but that was not the case for our Brodster...the poopy diapers were as often and normal as usual.
Brody is like a 15 pound kid, he's no light weight. I mean really, how much longer could he go on just his mom's milk?

7 comments:

Amy J said...

I think its true that mom knows best sometimes. Has this helped him sleep better at night, or was he already sleeping through the night?

Gina Lee said...

How cute. Porter was an early everything. I did everything as I felt I should...not as others recomended..and my kid is above and beyond other kids his age right now. I started Porter at 4 months with rice cereal and even mixed in the veggies at like 5 months or so. As long as he does well with it, thats all that matters. You have a healthy happy little boy...that means you must be doing the mom thing pretty well! =) Way to go!

Shepherds said...

I know what you mean when it comes to mommy not being ready. I had my MIL trying to get me to feed him rice cereal at like 1 or 2 months! Then even transitioning to the big bath was hard!

123123 said...

I cant believe he's 3 months already! And eating cereal! Time has flown! He's such a cutie!!

Mary Anne said...

i can't believe how fast he's growing. and no worries...no gasps from me. you know brody better than anyone. i loved the description of how he'll grab at the spoon...you can totally see him doing it. just so anxious to get it in there...faster mom! love it.

Bailey said...

15 pounds is BIG...but wait till he's been eating rice cereal...he'll be even bigger! I'm not against you doing rice cereal, i agree it's a mother thing...we JUST know!

Anonymous said...

He is a great combination, but I really see Spencer, can't help it.

I'm asking for favors. I'm making Ed and Nan Whiting blog and heap blog privat, but want all the help

I need:
1. (From Tanya, Kids, grand kids and of course husbands. Birthdate, Baptism, wedding/sealing dates,

2. Everyone's address if I need to sent you Heap info.

3. All emails, so I can invite to site. nswhiting@frontiernet.net is mine.

Thanks