Monday, July 30, 2007

Worse than a Mouse?

What could be worse than a mouse, you ask? Well let me tell you. I have figured it out. This something can be long or short. It can be several different colors, but usually green. It can grow to be fairly big around or it can be skinny. But it really doesn't matter the size, color, or the kind, because they are all gross! Have you guessed yet? Well, it's a snake. And believe it or not, but I had one in my house about two weeks ago. I did not take any pictures of it, and I have put off telling you all about it, because I hoped that if I pretended that it hadn't been on vacation in my house for about 3 days it might not have happened. Wrong....it did, and I definitely still think about it.

So, about two weeks ago, I walked into my kitchen and right on the floor by my sink was a snake! Of course I jumped up and started to scream bloody murder. I ran out of the kitchen, past Trevor on the couch, and into the bedroom. I was so freaked out that I couldn't even catch my breath enough to tell Trevor what I saw. He had just figured it was a mouse or something "trivial" like that so he hadn't even bothered to get up and see what I was screaming about. By the time I could spit it out, he couldn't believe it. He went to the kitchen, but by that time my screaming had it scared it off. It was on the loose....and we didn't know if it had left the building or simply gone incognito. All night there wasn't another siting, so Trevor assumed that the snake had been scared off and left our house.

The next day Trevor went to work and of course it came out again to visit me. I was literally shaking like a leaf, but I was prepared........I had a bucket to try and capture it with. It got away too fast! It slid under the stove. By this time we figured out that the snake liked it under there because it was warm. It also only seemed to come out in the open when the cooler wasn't on. Needless to say it made me have two very sleepless nights. For at this time no one except me ever saw the snake.

We had Trevor's parents and brother over on seperate occasions to try and catch the dang thing, but to no avail!!! We also came up with a theory as to how it got in. At the back of our house there is this skirting that hides the pipes and everything under the house. Well, the wind had been particularly nasty, and had knocked much of it down. We think the snake saw this as an open invitation and then found a whole where one of the pipes came in the house, and that is how he got to be there.

Finally on day three, I had the air on, so the snake shouldn't have been out. I walked to the laundry room to put the clothes in the dryer, when I saw the snake between the wall and my hutch. This was his new hangout. He had never ventured this far in the house! Of course I was freaked out but I grabbed the shovel that had waiting in the house and my bucket. I then called Trevor at work and he was luckily in town! He hurried home as quickly as he could, because the snake was trapped! He had no way out! Trevor got home and his brothers came out, and between them they were able to get the snake! I think a chorus of angels may have been singing on my behalf that day. It was not very fat, but it was fairly long. It was only a blow snake, but in my opinion a snake is a snake. The snake was released into the wild far, far from my house.

I don't think anything can be worse than a snake in the house. I still prowl around the kitchen expecting it to be there again. I don't think I'll ever forget that snake.

9 comments:

Heidi Joncas said...

Yeah a snake is pretty bad. Maybe he was eating off all the mice... haha just joking. One time our cat brought in a big bird. That was a little freaky.

ms said...

Haha, once Kimberly, Jacquelyn and I killed a snake when the electric company was in that little building kitty corner from dotty and kendall hansen's. We got it really worked up and it bit Jim Zyler. It was really scary!

Nicole said...

Okay, that's a lot worse than a mouse! Glad it's all taken care of!

Josh n' Meagan said...

That story made me laugh. Mostly that Trevor just sat there the first time you screamed. Anyway for my table/chairs I used Rustoleum brand latex paint. Not the spray paint, but the regular semi-gloss. It comes in black and I really liked it. It goes on nice and smooth, little to no brush marks. Good luck!

Nicole Mineer said...

Oh I would have died too! I have had two on my front porch--one was a blow snake--seriously like 5 ft long. It freaks me out because Tristen is always playing out there! Glad you got it out, it gives me the willies just thinking about it!

Julie said...

OH sick Taytum! I hate snakes too and I am sooo sorry for you! Last summer I was at Keirsten's lying on the floor in her room, and when I got up a three foot snake came slinking out from under her bed right where I was and into the closet. It was so scary and Keirsten was so disturbed for days! Luckily Steve was our hero and came and got it since our husbands were out of town!

Erin said...

YIKES! Wish I could've seen your face. HAHAHA!!!!!

Amy J said...

I looked at that website you told me about and they do have so many cute little girl clothes!!

Ben & Jessica said...

Oh my goodness you are to funny! But I dont blame ya, snakes r nasty! Glad you got it out tho!