Monday, August 06, 2007

Noah's Arc may be Needed



Okay, so I am sure many of you have heard by now that St. Johns has flooded! It has seriously been so crazy here. Not only is the rain nuts, but the lightning storms are like nothing I have ever seen before. Every day there have been interruptions on t.v. and the radio about flash flood warnings for all the surrounding areas. My favorite warning came on the radio one day when we were out driving. It is all an automated voice so it sounds funny anyway, but the guy gave a warning about not driving on roads covered in water and then said, "Turn around, Don't drown." It was really funny, but I guess you would have had to have heard it.

This picture is from out at the driving range. This building was nearly buried in water. I took this after the water had even gone down! The water is only about 6 inches from the doorknob. We have really needed the rain around here, but unfortunately we got our prayers answered really well the other night. Several houses were flooded. All of the homes that were flooded were in our ward too. On Sunday morning there were so many homes that needed to be cleared out that our bishopric and many others were out in there boots helping anywhere that they could. Not many people even made it to church.


This picture shows some of the water....it went over to both sides of the road. On the left hand side there was water clear out in the field, and then the road right there had to be closed and this lady with a cabin house had like two feet of water in her home. It was really sad. Our house was right where the water was running, but we were fortunate and didn't have any damage. We had been out to the movies in St. Johns when the rain started so we missed most of the storm, but when we got out we were in our car and we weren't able to take the dirt road down to our house because the water would have run into our car! Trevor's parents had to pick us up and take us to our house in there Tahoe.


They had to close the roads that run by the ice house, and the one that runs by the Lee's and the Raban's. This is the water that was running beside the road after they started letting people go on those roads. This was by the Raban's and then it ran across the road and went right into their yard, and then kept going down the road. I don't think you would believe it if you saw it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

taytum - thanks for the pictures...i hate it when exciting stuff happens and i'm not there to see it. i heard all about it from my family of course, but thank you so much for sharing pictures!!! see ya

Anonymous said...

that picture of the lightning is amazing! i cant believe it flooded like that, sounds like fun! :)

Erin said...

HOW CRAZY!! We had a bad storm in Tucson the other night, but NOTHING compared to that! Ok - so when I talked to you yesterday about the book I hadn't gotten to the good part yet. I stayed up til 2 am last night trying to finish. I finally gave up with 60 pages to go.

Is it still raining like crazy up there?

Ben & Jessica said...

Hey do u think u could email me the pics u have of the rain? I want to send some to my brother :) Thanks! Its... jessmarie_14@hotmail.com

Heidi Joncas said...

Hey I can help you get back the cute blog layouts if you want. I can send them over just drop let me know

Bailey said...

Okay, Chris and I busted up laughing at that drunk part...he just had a cute accent, he wsn't cute! But it was HILARIOUS!

Creative Corner said...

that is craziness. I wouldnt believe it was so bad if I didnt see it! I love the pictures, thanks for posting!

Heidi Joncas said...

Hey girl~
I don't know if you will check this today but it you do, yes I am coming over that way. I will call you so see if we can get together. I would love to see your house.
Heidi