Thursday, August 25, 2011

Projects are like Childbirth

I have heard people say that the reason women ever go through childbirth more than once is because your mind and body kind of forget all the pain that it went through. This is not the case for me. I remember childbirth. Very. Well. I think the reason I ever even contemplated any children beyond Brody is because I got distracted, I guess you could say, by how cute and fun and sweet he was. That distraction made me think that I could do it again. It wasn't all that bad. Then came Ryder. Things were great up until labor and once again I was telling Trevor that there was no way I could do this! Let's be honest though, at that point, you have no choice. You have to go through with the labor. You began the pregnancy process, you gotta finish it out. Then that sweet little one comes and you realize that he is your end result. He (or she I guess for people besides me) is what was worth making your body hurt in ways you didn't even think were possible. And you look at that baby and think, "I would totally do it again...SO worth it!"




I totally TOTALLY can liken my home projects to childbirth. I seriously think halfway through every project 1: I'm never doing this again 2: I cannot finish this! Its hard, I hate it, and I'm tired 3: I realize I have no choice. I started it, I have to finish it. Then just like when my boys arrived and I have that end picture I love it. I love all my completed projects and I am proud that I can say I did them, but I am always amazed at the amount of work I put into it!


In July my project 'bug' hit. I was in the mood for some change. I refinished my table and loved it (it only took me 6 years to actually do it). That led to me paint my hutch a sleek cannonball black. I think these changes turned what I would call my amish dining room look into a much more sleek and pretty dining room look.


Next came my built-in bookshelves and mantle. We've only lived in our house for nearly 2 years and I've never even put stuff onto the shelves because they were too narrow for most books and I just didn't know what to do. Finally a couple months ago I scoured my house for books and pretty things that would fit. Its a work in progress, but I think it turned out fairly well (besides the bottom two shelves staying empty because my kids yank everything off them). But that project 'bug' was making me itch, and filling the shelves just wasn't enough. Rather then wait another 4 years like I did with my table, I decided (with a gentle shove from Trevor) to re-do them as well. The mantle got stained to match the table. The shelves not only got painted a pearly white, but I backed them with that paintable wallpaper that looks like wainscoting(also known as bead board). End result? Shocking. I mean really. I have to take a few days to get over the change before I can decide if I like it. Its been a few days...I love it!


All of this was done from about mid July to now. Oh, and I might have painted my laundry room as well....and painted picture frames and put them up...and other minor things.... So I think my project 'bug' has almost left me. I only am looking to perfect my projects. Things might need touch-ups, or edges roughed up...That kind of stuff. More fun and less stress stuff. I think I am taking a much deserved break from big projects for a while.

8 comments:

Shepherds said...

Great Job!!! Looks so good!!

Mary Anne said...

Oh my gosh!! You did a great job. I am terrible at being projecty/crafty lately. I just have no motivation to do it...how sad! But yeah, I am the same as you that I'll get an itch, fill the need, and be good for a while. You should be seriously proud of yourself...it all looks great. I LOVE the table.

Stormy and Spenser said...

I love it Taytum!!! It looks so good! All of it!! Good job!!

Amy J said...

Love the comparison and I LOVE your projects. I need to get my booty into gear and start re-doing some things, but like you said, once you start, you have to finish and I'm afraid of not wanting to finish something I started!

Clint and Tiffany said...

Good job on remembering to take before pics! I ALWAYS forget that part! :O) Maybe not always, but this summer I have. Oh well, at least I've been workin' on projects right?!? Good job, babe! They look FAB!!!

Unknown said...

It all looks amazing!!!

Krystin said...

Love it!! It all ties in so well... please feel come and have the project bug bite me. I have got to get a few more BIG things done but can't muster up the motivation. Great job!

Kelsey and Dallas said...

what the freak?! I'm in love with your table and chairs! I litterally have the exact same ones...and i maaaay copy you? But I dunno, I HATE projects. I have like 4 in the works that I cant get myself to finish. Way to go on all of these. Its the BEST when you feel like youre making your house look cute. I just have to get back into the zone. gooood job.