Friday, November 05, 2010

Random Act of Violence

Its sad but true. We had an act of violence committed against a member of our family. To make matters worse the criminal that committed the crime was our very own Brody Jay. His victim: baby Ryder. The crime scene: our living room couch.
I knew it was only a matter of time before Ryder was hurt more than just an eye being poked, but I have totally and completely trusted Brody around Ryder. I have left the two of them alone in a room on plenty of occassions without even a second thought. That was the case one morning last week.
Mornings are always busy for me. Feeding kids, getting us ready for the day, laundry, and all the other typical household chores. This morning I had done all of that but I hadn't had time to blow dry my hair yet. I left Ryder on the couch and Brody paying extreme attention to the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on tv to go to my bathroom and dry my hair. With all my hair it sometimes can take a while to get it dry, but I didn't think twice about that until I finished and turned off the blow dryer only to hear the sounds of my baby crying. Not just crying...more like screaming. This was not the normal, 'i lost my pacifier' or 'i'm starving' kind of crying, this was 'i'm seriously not doing so hot right now mom, please help!!!'
I run into the living room to find Brody leaning over Ryder and holding his Woody(from toy story) figure in his hand. I go to Ryder and find scratches all over the right side of his head. Some places the skin has been broken and there is a little blood, but all the scratches were hard enough to raise his skin and make it look like they were welts. Not only this but the scratches are almost instantly turning into some serious bruises! I realize that Brody has taken his plastic Woody and dragged Woody's spurs all over Ryder's head.
To say the least I'm horrified. First, I feel bad that I didn't hear poor Ryder sooner. Who knows how long Brody was scratching Ryder. Second, I'm just sick that Brody could do this. And third, I feel SOOO guilty for leaving Ryder unattended with his brother.
I am pretty upset with Brody. Actually really upset. I feel somewhat mad, but mostly I just can't believe he did this. He quickly realizes he's in trouble....BIG trouble. I show him what he's done and tell him how wrong it is and I take him to his room for a time-out on his bed (a first for Brody). Brody begins to cry as I carry him down the hallway to his room. When I set Brody down he flings himself away from me only to whack his head on his bed! Instantly there is a black and blue goose egg on the same side of his head as Ryder's injuries and in nearly the same exact place!
My boys looked like they were being abused by their mother! I didn't hardly take either one of them out of the house for a week for fear of what people would think! Haha! It was pretty bad. Brody told me the next day, "Woody trouble." How does a 2 year old already know to place the blame on others? So not only do I have an abuser in my house, I have a little liar! Oh well...I guess its all part of having 2 boys....I know that it was just one beat down of many to come.

2 comments:

Mary Anne said...

Oh yeah...I didn't know how upset I could be at Sadie until Canon came along. She pulled him off the couch on more than one occasion. So not okay with that. But your boys are adorable and it will get better...or at least Ryder will get bigger and better able to defend himself! Ha ha...

Lindsey said...

Taytum, I am sure you are sick of me saying this, but I SWEAR we are living identical lives! I left Kerrigan with Tucker the other day, and heard him gagging. I run into the room to witness Kerrigan with her ENTIRE hand down his throat...oy vey!

Let's space the next ones out just a tad more, ok?

PS I also really feel like Tucker and Ryder look a ton alike...maybe its the chubby cheeks!