Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pees in the Potty

For weeks Brody has been telling us about 'pee' and 'poo' while gesturing to the places that the stuff comes from. He practically stalks us in the bathroom(especially trevor), and even tells us when he needs a poopy diaper changed. All of this helps us to know that he is approaching potty training, but I still have been hesitant to really start the whole process. Why you ask? Well, I have read that the worst thing you can do is pressure them when they aren't fully ready. If you do that it can set them back even more. So I have patiently been waiting and thinking that there is no way I can get him potty trained before Ryder comes.
Today was a major breakthrough!!! While explaining pee and poo to me I just flat out asked him if he wanted to go potty in his big boy potty. He said, "Yeah!" with a ton of enthusiasm and ran into the bathroom that has his little potty and tried to get it down. Sweet, I thought.... I stripped Brody down to just his t-shirt and put him on the potty. Of course, nothing could be accomplished unless he had his shoes on while sitting there. He would wear them to bed if he could, so there was no way he was going to sit there and not wear them now. So t-shirt, shoes, and potty. We sat there and sat there....time slowly creeping by....I try a few different tactics. I let the water run for a while....let him have his sippy cup of juice...even give him my cell phone. Twenty five minutes later and much getting up and down I tell myself its just not going to happen, when all of a sudden HE PEES!!!!
Brody watched himself pee into the bowl and was totally amazed. I only made a huge deal out of it too, so then he really knew he'd done something good. We high-fived and 'pounded it'. To make things even better I let him help dump the pee in the big toilet and flush it. He loves to do anything like us so this made going potty all the better to him.
I thought this was surely a one time deal, but I left him in just his shirt and shoes in the hopes we could try again, when he surprised me and went in the bathroom by himself and said, "Mom, a- more.." I ran in there and sure enough he had peed more! He hadn't quite made it in and got a little on the floor, but mostly he went all by himself! Talk about a huge accomplishment at the Waite household!!!! I was practically jumping for joy. Unless you have kids you cannot know how exciting a little pee in a potty can really be! Brody went about 4 more times without me telling him and only had one accident. Yippee! I have dreaded the whole potty training experience and maybe we'll have setbacks. I would like to have done this whole process when there wasn't a holiday weekend coming up thats going to throw us off, but this was so not planned! Can we be this lucky? Is it really going to be this easy? Woot-woo Brody Jay!

7 comments:

123123 said...

That is AWESOME!!! Congrats Brody!! :)

Clint and Tiffany said...

Oh, I SO hope that it's that easy for you! Good luck with it! And unless he's a rare angel child, there probably will be setbacks. Just breeze past them. That's the best way to deal with it I've found. Yay for pee in the potty!!

Shepherds said...

Yay!! That is so exciting! And I am kinda jealous!! Kyson would walk around with a shirt on and his shoes too but wouldn't go back to the potty. So..I will try again someday.

Heather said...

Oh man that is totally awesome! i hope he continues to do it. i am dreading the potty training thing too. well good luck!

Zanny Poo said...

Woohoo! I'm so happy for you. Mine isn't even interested at all, but I know it will come in time.

Lindsey said...

YAY BRODY!!!! I love his little bare fanny pictures...so cute!

Gina Lee said...

Geez, will you have him teach Porter a thing or two?!! Porter WILL NOT even try. He is so anti-potty, and doesnt even care. It stinks. You got lucky girl, count your blessings. 2 kids in diapers is no bueno! COngrats little Brody!