Sunday, August 16, 2009

Brody's First Birthday

It is hard to believe that a year ago yesterday at 3:05 in the afternoon the best thing to happen to Trevor and I entered into the world. That's right....yesterday our little Brody Jay Waite turned one year old!
The day was pretty relaxed. We put up some streamers and a birthday sign, and got ready for Brody's birthday party. We really didn't want to do anything too big, but you only turn one once, and a lot of our family is here and we knew they wanted to see the birthday boy. We ended up with a pretty good turn out. Trevor's parents, 2 of his brothers, my mom, and my 3 siblings all showed up for some hamburgers, hot dogs, and cake. I attempted to make Brody's cake, and I guess it turned out okay....but it wasn't exactly how I wanted it, so after putting the finishing touches on it, I had a little meltdown because I thought it was crappy. It's pretty lame to cry about a one year old's cake (that he isn't even going to remember), but I did.
We weren't sure what we wanted to do about the cake and Brody. I thought about getting a seperate one for him to dive into, and then I thought we would just skip it altogether, but ultimately we just cut a slice for Brody and let him dive into it with everyone watching. I had kinda wanted to do the cake with just Trevor, Brody, and I...but I felt like everyone wanted to see it, so we stripped off his shirt and went ahead and......BRODY LOVED IT!

Up until yesterday, we really haven't fed Brody very much table food, and definitely not much sweet stuff. He grabbed that piece of cake and began sucking the green icing all off. He was super excited. He would smile and kick his legs....it was messy but so fun.
I think Trevor and I would both agree that this first year of Brody's life has gone by WAY TOO FAST!

10 comments:

Bailey said...

oh so fun! i can't believe he's a year old. Happy birthday buddy. hope you wished for a brother to arrive shortly!! :D

Heidi Joncas said...

Holy Cow! He is a year old! I was so happy that I got to see you guys in the hospital! Happy B-day little Brody!! (Your cake is better then any cake I could ever do)

Krystin said...

Very Cute Cake!! just wait... it seems to go by even faster, it is pretty depressing. But look at all the fun memories you have!! What a fun Birthday!

Chantel said...

I can't believe he's already one. I remember all your pregnancy posts and when he was first born. You're such a great mommy. So fun!!

Spencer and Marlee said...

I can't believe it has been a year since I was reading your blog almost every day to hear the prego updates!! Time sure has gone by!

Monica said...

Are you crazy... or just going blind???! That cake is SOOOO super cute!!! I love the family picture too!

Anonymous said...

that is a really cute cake taytum, silly! I've been thinking for a few weeks now what to do for casen's cake...aren't we funny. glad he had a good birthday!

Mary Anne said...

Oh man time flies by! Happy Birthday to your adorable boy. I think that cake looked AWESOME! Way better than I ever could have done or would have even attempted. You're a great mom.

Jaime said...

SOOOO cute!! It has gone by too fast!! You did a great job on that cake. We were going to make it last week for Hadley's party, but ended up changing our whole party plans at the last minute and didn't want to travel with it!

Julie said...

You did a great job. You are so funny! Happy Birthday Brody. We will get over there to see him soon.