Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Bigger EVERY Day!

"They" say that kids learn more in their first 5 years of life than at any other time. I am totally a believer now. Our little Brody went from sleeping, crying, pooping, and eating to this kid that is trying to do everything at once.Very early on Brody rolled over, but it was kinda a fluke thing. I think he must have been slightly sloped, because he hasn't done it since. This week though he is really trying to roll over. He gets a little hung up on his arm though. On Monday he was trying so hard and Trevor and I just kept cheering him on from the side lines. You seriously would have thought he was performing brain surgery by our excitement. All that ended up happening was Brody getting halfway there and getting super mad. He cried and cried because he was so frustrated and we were just watching and not helping. He quite literally wore himself out. He ended up falling asleep mid-roll and stayed that way for about 30 minutes.
I have really been pushing the pacifier on Brody because I have noticed his intense desire to have his fist shoved in his mouth. I really was hoping to discourage the whole thumb-sucking thing by giving him a pacifier. I figured that a pacifier can be taken away eventually, the thumb cannot. Well, Brody found his thumb. I give up. I'm pretty sure that there really isn't much I can do about it, so why fight it? The only bright side is that since his initial thumb-sucking he really has mostly chewed on his thumb...not so much sucking....maybe he doesn't like it all that much??? Yeah, yeah...keep dreaming.
On Halloween we put Brody in his stroller without his car seat and Trevor told me he didn't like it because it made him not look little. Trevor thought he looked too grown up sitting up like that. Well, Trevor propped Brody on the couch and I didn't like it because I thought he looked like a big kid instead of the 12 week old baby that he is. Brody was a little like the leaning tower of Pisa at times, but mostly he sat up straight all by himself. Seriously, where did my baby go? It's true that they grow up WAY to fast!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

He is SO cute :) Sorry about the thumb, but the pacifier is hard to take away too! We just took Edmunds a couple months ago I think. We wanted him to be done with it before the new baby came. We bought special toys that he picked out and said he couldn't have them until he threw away the pacifiers....
I see Dr. Tindall. I do not like that office at all! Every time I have been there I have had to wait over an hour!

K. Bitton said...

He is so cute! You really can't right the thumb, I hate the thought of cutting grace's habit. It's so nice and convenient! you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night and put the bink back in...=) Anyway it's true they grow up too fast, just enjoy the time right now. I wish I had done that more!

Jaime said...

Aaaah!!! Precious! They do grow to fast. As a mom I was always wanting them to do the next thing, but now look back and wonder why I rushed every step of the way! :) Did you get my email about the custom christmas cards?? check out http://www.mycustomcards.blogspot.com/ just in case you are interested!

Julie said...

He's so stinkin cute, I can't believe it!

Julie said...

Oh and, I too gave up, and although I haven't tried to stop it yet, I haven't regreted it. My child can calm herself in the middle of the night, in the car, where ever! I love it... for now! And it's soo cute.. to me at least!

Bon said...

hey, you'll be thankful for thumb sucking when you see everyone else cursing under their breath because of constantly losing pacifiers or dropping them on the ground. tucker is a thumb sucker, and i could care less. i told his dentist i was saving up for braces and he said usually as long as they quit by around 3 or 4, they probably wouldn't need them. plus, you don't ever see a 1st grader sucking their thumb, so he'll figure it out! (p.s. i was a thumb sucker when i was a baby so i'm a promoter of self-soothing)

Lisa said...

SO CUTE!!! It's amazing how fast they grow!

Heidi Joncas said...

He is a cute little boy. Is it the lighting or just my eyes, but his hair looks almost blond. Oh and I just heard a weirdest story about St.Johns. I wanna see if it is on the news tonight.

Whiting Family said...

He is so cute!!! And yes they really grow up fast...too fast. So enjoy them when they are little, and can't walk, and talk back to you, and get into everything!!! They are tons of fun!!!