Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pregnancy Woes

What can I say?  The end is near!  Yay.  This week I am 33 weeks along.  Just 7 to go.  So many people have said to me that my pregnancy has gone by so fast.  I have to agree that for the most part it has.  I think that probably has a lot to do with the fact that we didn't tell that we were pregnant until I was into my second trimester.  The last few weeks have not been so fast for me though.

I hate to complain.  I mean, I am always so grateful for the chance to carry another baby.  I have a friend who is going through fertility issues, one that delivered a stillborn last year, and one that is currently on hospital bed rest just trying to make it each day a little farther so I feel like its completely insensitive for me to utter one single syllable of complaint.  But....this is in fact, my blog.  It is where I can document my life.  I don't want to spill a sob story, but I want to remember that pregnancy number 3, has not been my easiest.

I was bound to have a harder pregnancy.  I mean, its just tempting fate to have 3 'textbook' pregnancies as my dr had always told me before.  Things have been a little different, a little more weird, but nothing that I would consider bad or hard.  Then I had my glucose test.  I failed it.  That's right, folks!  I have gestational diabetes.  Woo-hoo!  Five percent of pregnant women get this, and I have become one of that magical number.  I already have delivered to 9lb babies, and gestational diabetes babies tend to be bigger, so now the dr is really on the alert.

Lucky for me, I am not a hard core out-of-control diabetic.  I am not having to take insulin.  I technically don't even really need to monitor my blood sugar.  The dr wrote me a prescription that I should take twice a day and that is that.  Except, its not.  I like to avoid medicine if I can when pregnant.  I came back asking if I could try to control this with diet and exercise.  The dr gave me the green light and was impressed that I wanted to even try that, because its so much easier to take the meds and be done with it.  I am eating better.  I do a very brisk 2 mile walk on my treadmill everyday (enough to make me sweat), and biggest of all I've completely cut soda from my life.  That may not sound like a big deal to you non-soda drinkers, but for me its huge.  There is nothing like the tingly sweet taste of a cherry pepsi sliding down my throat.  Its like manna from heaven if you ask me.  My mouth waters just thinking of it......

I also bought a cheap monitor from Walmart and check my blood about 4 times a day.  I wanted to see how things would go.  Well, its not going well.  Despite my best efforts my sugars are still all over the place.  First thing in the morning before I eat I check my blood and the doc wants it under 100.  It is rarely there.  Usually it sits closer to 107.  Two hours after I eat it should be under 120.  This one I manage most of the time.  What is so frustrating to me, is that sometimes I can eat things that I know are verging on the 'bad' side for me and have my sugar at a 91, while other times I can eat well and its hitting 110.  Its just all over the place.  I finally broke down and started taking one pill a day.  Still the effects are the same.  I may have to just submit to the fact that I have to have the help of the medicine.  boo.

This 4 times a day of monitoring have made my days seem long.  I just want to eat a freakin chocolate cupcake now and again!  That shouldn't be too much of a pregnant lady to ask, right?  There is one positive though.  Because of the worry of a way too big baby they have had me come in for 3 ultrasounds and another is scheduled.  I have only had one for each prior pregnancy.  It is amazing to see a baby this developed.  When we went in last week, we could actually see Nash yawning and blinking his eyes and that was just in the 2d ultrasound, not the 3d or 4d one.  He looks great.  So far, so good.  Nash has us all worrying, but he measured in at 4lbs 2 oz (which is never completely accurate) and is in the average range.  I still fully believe he's going to come out big because that's what the other 2 did, but only time will tell.

Some of the other things that they have to worry about with the gestational diabetes is excessive weight gain on my part, high blood pressure, and too much amniotic fluid.  All of these have not been a problem for me thus far.  My weight gain is very very little, my blood pressure is almost low, and my amniotic fluid is a little bit high but its holding steady so its not a worry right now.  I will also be receiving not 1, but 2 non-stress tests....at least, thats what I think they are called.  We'll see how Nash manages that and then go from there.  I've been told that often they will induce you around 38 weeks with the gestational diabetes, but I'm not sure if that is in the plans yet for me.

So that's my life right now.  Oh, and if you tack on some serious pain in my lower back, and now some lovely burning below my belly when I stand or walk too long because he's already head down and positioning himself to make his grand entrance into this world then you have a pretty accurate account of what this pregnancy has been like lately.  I don't want Nash to come too early, but stick a fork in me because I'm just about done.

3 comments:

Foy Funny Farm said...

Sorry to here about the diabetes! I can relate! I wouldn't worry too much about your blood sugars, cause what I read you are doing fantastic! Excited for you guys! (Love the name too)

Mary Anne said...

Ah I am so sorry! Good for you for trying to do your part before taking the medication, though. You should totally pat yourself on that back for that one. I hope everything goes well from this point on! Love the name you picked out! Fits so well with your other handsome boys.

Clint and Tiffany said...

Wow. That just sucks. I'm SO impressed you gave up SODA. That's seriously like a pick-your-jaw-off-the-floor kinda thing for you and I'm so proud!! If I lived closer, I would totally bring you a chocolate cupcake in the hospital :O)