Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas 2012

Christmas dawned bright and early and lucky for us it was even a white Christmas (the only day I find snow to be acceptable and wanted....)!  Trevor and I were up, but no kids.  Hmm... Someday they'll be waking us up, but today we had to wake them up!

First things first, we had to go through our stockings.  Ryder didn't even get halfway through his before he had eaten 2 or 3 pieces of chocolate.  We had to help him get through it and by the time it was all dumped out he said very calm, but happily, "cool."  He could have been done then.  He was content.  Brody exclaimed over every little thing, but was ready to open presents.  He knew the drill.


 The kids were not overly indulged, and many of their presents were things they needed like socks, shoes, and underwear, but they were pleased with everything.  I am always so proud of how happy Brody reacts to everything he receives.  He is very appreciative of everything, even the not-so-fun things he gets.  With two boys so close in age, things tend to come in twos.  They often get the same thing because mom, dad, and Santa know all too well that it is easier that way and their are a lot less fights.  The biggest hit of the day were these remote controlled Thomas the Tank Engine trains.  They drive as well as any remote control car, but of course are way cooler because they are Thomas...and they actually steamed!
Trevor and I had decided that we were not exchanging gifts this year.  There really wasn't anything either of us wanted or needed.  We had both recently bought some new clothes, so we were good to go.  I literally got him nothing.  He literally did not follow this agreement and surprised me with a Kitchen Aid stand mixer that I have wanted for years!  I could not believe it.  It was a thing of beauty.  Seriously.  As awesome as it was, I could have strangled Trevor...also, SERIOUSLY!

After that we went over to Trevor's parents house.  All of his family was here this year.  We hadn't done much for anybody except made these homemade board games, and they were a great hit!  As simple, and relatively inexpensive as they were, they were probably one of the best gifts we have ever given.  We were there only briefly, so the boys could open their gifts there, and then we were off to my mom's for breakfast and for the boys to open their gift from grandma there.

At 'Red' Grandma's we also had a homemade board game to give, but then it was time for our traditional stuffed french toast.  It was kind of a small and sad gathering.  My brother Spenser and his wife Stormy weren't there, and just a week before my other brother, Kade, entered the MTC to start his mission training before serving his 2 year church mission in Peru.  We enjoyed the few that were there, but I'll be so glad when we are all back together again.

We left my mom's, got home, had a nap, and then headed back to Trevor's parents for a Christmas dinner.  We were able to enjoy that and then just visit.  We eventually busted out the new game we had made and played several (loud) rounds before coming home.  As far as gifts go, it was a smaller Christmas all around, but I think it was one of the most enjoyable Christmas day's I've ever had- especially with Trevor's family this year.  I say every year that I don't care about the gifts so much as being with everyone, and this year it was really true.  It was fun to laugh, play, and enjoy each other's company.

Despite how busy Christmas day tends to be, and how fast it is over, I wish that every year could be as fun as this one was.  Or I'd take a year even more fun too....

No comments: