Friday, July 13, 2012

Mark of a Good Friend

Growing up in my little small town, I had friends...not a ton, but friends.  I never felt like I truly fit in and although I generally liked most of the kids in my highschool I didn't feel like I had a lot of true blue friends.  High school here, in my small home town, often times felt more like survival of the fittest.  I was so busy trying to not rock the boat and to just find a niche, I never really got to be myself.

Then came college.  Really some of the best times of my life.  So much fun.  The thing that I loved there the most was I got to choose my friends.  It wasn't just who I was surrounded with.  Although I do still have friends from high school some of my closest relationships I have as an adult have come from the friends I made at college.

One of these friends was Heidi.  Not only did we room in the same dorms my second semester, but she found a job at a bed & breakfast in Silverton, Colorado during the summer and invited me along for the adventure.

Adventure it was.  We lived in a kind of one room apartment area in the B&B and worked their in the evenings.  During the day we went to work at a hamburger/ice cream place called High Noon Hamburgers.  I don't know that I had ever spent so much time with one person.  You would almost think that we would be at each other's throats.  The truth is, we weren't.  We had a few moments of tension, but never any real fights.  I don't know if I could have lived and worked with anyone as well as Heidi.

Fast forward to 8 years later and Heidi and I both have gotten married, moved a few times, and had a few kids.  Over the years we've kept in contact (probably not as much as we should), and even met up a few times.  Lucky for me, Heidi was visiting her parents in Pinetop and I was able to load up my kids and meet up with her.

Not only was it so nice to see our kids interact and play, but it was REALLY nice to visit Heidi.  I miss my friends!!!  We figured the last time we saw each other was about 3 years ago, and instead of things being awkward we just picked up where we left off.  If thats not true friendship, what is? 

A pic from our adventures and of course my kids aren't smiling, but Heidi's kids look SO cute.  Our 5 kids: Bode-6 (i think), Brody-almost 4, Laine-3, Ryder-almost 2, and Piper-8 months.

Thanks for the play date Heidi!

1 comment:

Heidi Joncas said...

So I read this on my phone last week but forgot to comment :) I couldn't have said it any better! I am glad we are friends.