Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Shutterbug

I think there are so many mom's out there that get a fancy shmancy camera and overnight think they are some kind of superstar photographer. I'll admit, this bugs me. Its stupid really, because um, hello...isn't that me? I have dabbled on and off in photography since highschool, but I never ever take the time to really LEARN like I need to. That's why when people ask if I take pictures and if I would do theirs, I'm so quick to suggest they find someone else. I have a couple friends that have become SOO good at taking pictures, that I look at theirs and this wonderful talent that they've developed and all I can see is the crappiness in mine! However, once in a while a family member, close friend, or someone that refuses to take no for an answer will convince me to take their pictures.

This past fall, I had a few instances of this. First, I had this way cute family. They were so easy to photograph because they were willing to try anything and so photogenic. The only problem was, the only time we were able to take their pictures was right smack during the sunniest part of the day. The mom wanted a field with tall grasses or sunflowers. The dad wanted something more rustic with a barn or a tractor. Believe it or not, we found ONE location that had all these components. It was great!

The next one I shot made me really nervous. Wait, I shouldn't say that. EVERY time I take pictures I'm super nervous. I honestly just about go into cardiac arrest because I know that someone else could do so much better. This one just made me more nervous because I haven't ever shot a newborn. Plus, you really should do newborn pictures within the first 10 days or so, and she was a few weeks past this. She didn't want to sleep at all, but baby A was beautiful waking or sleeping so it really didn't matter.

Finally, was my friend, Shelly's family. I have done their pictures for three years now. I probably am the least nervous with them because they know what to expect from me, and I know what to expect from them. I am the most comfortable and at ease, even though I have to work myself into this state for about 3 days prior to the day we take the pictures!

I never am one to make new year's resolutions, BUT if I did...I think one of them would be for me to develop a better talent and more skills at picture taking. To become more confident in what I do. To REALLY figure out lighting (its one thing I struggle to get just right). And maybe just maybe get a handle on the photoshop program I recently got!

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Well, I think you do a great job!

I have the same issue...in fact I think that is my #1 pet peeve (when people think nice camera= photographer).

However, I think that also holds me back...I am guessing its the same for you. I don't want to be one of those people, and I don't want to start charging people only to look back in a few years and be totally embarrassed of my "work".

On the flip side, though, I think that thought process prevents me from seeing my own talent/progress! If you have been practicing for years, it's fairly safe to say you have avoided thinking your are a photographer because you have a nice camera!

Sorry about the rambling : )

Julie said...

You are awesome and I Always love your pictures!

Dee Waite's said...

Hum LOL HAHA & again WOW

Jaime said...

I think you don't give yourself enough credit, you do a great job!!! Hope you guys are doing good!

Clint and Tiffany said...

What are you talking about?!? You've ALWAYS had an eye for photography! Enjoy developing it!! It's one of those things that you'll love and hate all at the same time cuz there's ALWAYS someone better who makes you question why you even try, but then you'll ALWAYS take that ONE picture that takes your own breath away and reminds you that you can rock it too. :O) Just remember that all the great pics you see others take are the best of their crop - no one posts their crappy pictures! LOL I hope you keep at it, you are already so good that I'm excited to see where you'll be in a year. That's how I gauge myself, by looking at what I took a year ago and what I'm taking today and seeing how much change there is. Yay for photography!!!! :O)

Jon and Rach said...

I think your pictures are great! I am the same though. It's hard to spend time learning when you have a family. I love taking pictures but ya most the time I rely on my nice camera! There are so many talented people...I think you are one of them!

She-She said...

I think you take some really beautiful pics, Taytum! I'd hire you!!
I know a few people myself that get a fancy camera, but have no clue what lighting is best or how to even open their editing software. I will straight up tell you I have no idea myself about lighting! I don't have a big fancy camera... but I like to play around with what I have. I'm not perfect and I'd never be able to take pics for anyone else... but to do my own, I'm pretty proud of them.
But you could call yourself a photographer! :)