Monday, November 14, 2011

The Newest Addition

But no, its not the one you are thinking. There would be no baby plans in our near future. But our living room got a new addition. One that Trevor has been practically drooling for ever since we got married 6 years ago. You see, we received a really nice (but not flat screen) new tv as a wedding gift. In my opinion, even larger than necessary. I guess that comes from the female perspective. Trevor and his wishful electronic thinking.....would say other wise.





(before pic, with the tv we loaned from fam until we got a new one)



Over the years as the prices of flat screen televisons have become more reasonable we've debated getting one, but we just really couldn't justify it when we had a perfectly good tv at home. We kept saying well, if our breaks.....


Wouldn't you know that it did. With a sly grin on his face Trevor said, "shoot. guess we'll have to get a new one." We did look into just repairing ours. Its like a relic. A dinosaur. No really....the cost of fixing it wasn't worth it. So guess who's flat screen dreams came true? Yep. Trevor's.


I always have had a stiputation that if we got a new tv that I would get a new entertainment center. We looked. EX-PEN-SIVE. Even at wal-mart! I don't know if its the couponer in me or what, but I just couldn't bring myself to buying one.


Then I remembered my mom had this old hideous and heavy dresser in storage. I asked her if I could have it. Trevor just could NOT see my vision for the avocado oil base painted dresser. He thought it would look dumb. But with his elbow grease and some serious paint stripper we got down to business.


After that I painted the whole thing a flat greenish-brown. Once it dried I worked in sections putting on a thick layer of elmer's glue. When that got a little tacky I did a coat of satin dark red. When it dried the elmer's glue had the same affect that crackle medium would but for a FRACTION of the cost (thank you pinterest for the idea).
When my new entertainment center was in place, with the tv, and things hanging on the wall again, I just sat back to REALLY look. The change took some getting used to, but I really think it turned out great. Even my skeptic (Trevor) liked it!

6 comments:

Heidi Joncas said...

I for one freakn' love it!!

Heidi Joncas said...

And I am not talking about the tv. Although that is nice too :)

Clint and Tiffany said...

Very fun! Great job!!! Love it!

Whitney said...

So cute! youre amazing!

Shepherds said...

I love it!! You did an amazing job!

Heather said...

It looks AWESOME! good job. i love refinishing furniture.