Saturday, April 23, 2011

Ready, Set, DYE!!!

About 4 years ago I bought a easter egg coloring kit because I was bound and determined to just do all the holiday things that I did growing up whether or not Trevor and I actually had kids. When it came down to it, I felt silly doing it all by myself so there is still a kit in our filing cabinet. This year, however, was different.





Brody is finally old enough to dye easter eggs! I was so excited. Even Trevor who is somewhat of a bah-hum-bug when it comes to doing all the little holiday activities, likes to do things if it is something that Brody will have fun doing.

I got everything set up, put Ryder in his bumbo seat on top of the table and got my trusty little canon powershot (not my fancy camera) ready. Brody gets up to the table and points to all the dye and shouts, "Colors!" all excited-like. Then he says the same thing about the eggs waiting in the carton to be colored. Trevor and I try to explain what to do and Brody grabs an egg all excited and ready to go and taps it on the edge of the table to try and crack it open (I think he's 'helped' mom a few times in the kitchen when she's cooking?). No-no-no Brode! We both are saying and then laughing while we show him what to do.

The dollar I spent on a plastic tablecloth was probably the best investment I could have made for our dye-fest! First, it was a play thing for Ryder while I got things set up:

And then it was a spot protector from all the dye that splattered on the table. I seem to remember coloring eggs taking a heck of a lot longer when I was a kid doing it with my brother. Maybe it was because we had to share the dye and maybe it was because we were competing to see who could get their eggs the darkest and prettiest colors. Then again, it may be that Brody is only 2 and 1/2 and really thinks just coloring the eggs is pretty awesome and there's no need for perfection at this stage.

2 comments:

Clint and Tiffany said...

So fun! I was SO excited to do all these fun Easter crafts with my girls last week, and then Clint decided that we needed to go camping so... we ran short on time!

I'm sorry Brody keeps getting out of bed, that sucks! When Madi went through a phase like that, we sat her down and told her that that's not ok because we can't sleep with her in there with us. That did the trick and now she only comes in if she needs a drink or something. Yay for blessed sleep! :O) Good luck!

Mary Anne said...

You are a better mommy that me! We did NOTHING traditional about Easter this year. I felt awful! We were traveling over the holiday, but still. I could have done SOMETHING. You have lucky kids who have a mom who is determined to have traditions. Good for you! I need to be better at that.