Thursday, April 21, 2011

Our 3rd Wheel

There's this impossibly handsome little boy that never wants to take a good picture anymore named Brody Jay. Mr. Brody Jay has developed a TERRIBLE habit. He seems to think its perfectly acceptable to join Trevor and I in our bed on a nightly basis!




Not a big deal you say? I think its a huge deal. Prior to Ryder being born we knew we were going to have to transition Brody from his crib to a toddler bed. We wanted to do this before Ryder came so that Brody didn't feel like he was getting booted from his beloved crib. Trevor was more adament that this happened than I was. I knew it would be even a few months after Ryder was born before he actually slept in the crib because he would be in our room for a while.


So, we did it. We got a toddler bed and moved him in. It was a very easy and smooth transition. The very first night he slept in it with no problemo. For about a week when Brody would wake up he would call to us that he was up. We would go get him and all was well. Could we really be so lucky? Um, no, of course not.


The week came and went and he finally realized that he could just get out of his bed whenever he felt like it. He started making the trip across the house to our room. Trevor and I would let Brody in bed and then after a bit one of us would take him back to his own bed. One night close to my due date we had taken Brody back to his own bed SEVERAL times and I distinctly remember tearfully telling Trevor I didn't know how I was going to handle this once Ryder came. I deeply value my sleep, and I knew I would be getting up with a newborn but then to add even more time awake with the 2 year old was just not going to fly with me!

Then for a short period of time we were blessed. Ryder came, and Brody stuck to his room (mostly). It was so wonderful.....and short lived.


Both boys are in their own rooms. Both sleep through the night. However, Brody joins us each night at some point. I truly believe that this has become such a habit that he now makes the trek to our room in his sleep half the time. He always goes to Trevor's side of the bed so I sometimes don't even know he's even in the bed until I end up with his head on my shoulder and I wake up to see his feet stretched across to Trevor's shoulder. On nights like that I get up and put him back in his bed. On other nights I don't do so well....I just leave him there because I'm too tired.

I'm hoping this is just a phase. Its not my favorite thing because I'm a big believer in having our kids in their own beds. For now its okay, it just won't be appropriate if he's a teenager still climbing in with us! So I guess I'll just go with the motto: "This too shall pass."

5 comments:

K. Bitton said...

I hope it passes but I'm not sure it will until you teach him. We've had to lock the door on both of our girls (just until we go to bed). They think it's locked all night and therefore don't even try to get out once it's been established. Good luck! I value my sleep too and can't stand it when it gets interrupted! :)

Heather said...

Colton for the first few weeks was awesome in his bed and then like you said he realized that he could get out. it lead to to him opening the door i tried locking it and he would unlock it. i tried the kid proof thing you put on the handle and he tore it off. so i had to turn the door nob around and lock it from the outside. he cried a lot and kicked and screamed at the door but eventually he realized that he had to stay in his bed and has been cake since. i know it sounds back to lock them in, i couldnt do it for a long time but glad i did cause now he just goes to sleep and doesnt get out. good luck eveyone is different try what works best for you. you can do it hang in there!

Erin said...

Good thing he's so cute!!! Ellie does this once in a while. If we don't put her right back in her bed when she first comes in, she will throw a fit when we finally do put her in bed. I'm sure he will grow out of it eventually!

Lisa said...

You guys have been busy at work. Nice Job!! Cute fam. You're boys are getting so big!! I can't believe it.

Spencer and Marlee said...

Oh Boy... I feel the sme as you. I dont want kids in bed with me either. we will be doing the exact transition in a couple of weeks with our baby being born and Madi.