Friday, February 12, 2010

Christmas Eve 2009

This year I think we were more excited than ever to celebrate the holidays. Yes, we had Brody for all the holidays last year, but this year it was so much more exciting because he could actually enjoy things and understand a little bit. Of course we had to do Christmas Eve at my Grampa Stradlings house. It was so nice because we were able to just walk over there this year since we live so close! It was a little bittersweet knowing that this was going to be my Grampa's last Christmas eve with us, but I am so grateful that we did do it!

I honestly try and think why I love this tradition of going there every year, but there really isn't anything extraordinary about that evening. I think what I love most is that we are there with all of the extended family. Every cousin and aunt and uncle that can make it, comes. Its so fun to just all be together, especially with those that don't live here or close by.
We always always have mexican food and that is never a bad thing if you ask me. When we were younger every grandchild opened a present from our grandparents, but now that we are older we have received a card in the mail with a recipe that our granma or great grandma used. I really love this idea and think its better than any present I could get.
All the great grandkids received their own x-mas card and a gingerbread cookie this year from grampa and Laura.

I think every great-grandkid was there except for one, and it was so fun to see them all interact and play together. There was constantly noise, and I know it wiped out our grampa but I loved every second of it.

When Brody was born he was the first one of 6 new great grandbabies to our family. This year at Christmas Eve we had them altogether for the first time and it was so neat to see all their different personalities. I can't wait to watch them grow up together and play and hang out during the 24th of july and all the holidays, they will have so much fun! I was able to get a picture or all of them together, but of course they aren't all happy and they aren't all looking!!!
After we went there we walked back home and Brody got to open up his christmas pajamas and we put him in them and then went to look at x-mas lights with Trevor's parents. Brody really loved lights this year. He would press against the glass and make oh's and ah's. He couldn't get enough of them! Even the houses with only one string of lights made him excited. Unfortunately he was pretty exhausted so we didn't stay out very long before it was time to go home and go to bed so Santa could come!

4 comments:

Amy J said...

Brody is so cute and is getting so big! That's so fun that he has so many cousins his age. I don't have many cousins and always envied those who did growing up. And I LOVE when they are old enough to enjoy the holidays, its fun seeing their faces around the lights and decorations.

Erin said...

I love the pictures of all of the great grandkids. That will be fun for them to see when they're older.

Marcie Ashton said...

What a wonderful thing -to get to spend a last Christmas with your grandpa. Priceless.

Maui Mamma said...

Can I take a copy of that great grand baby pic for my files?