Monday, November 19, 2012

Meeting Santa

Believe it or not, our kids haven't ever sat on Santa's lap to tell him what they want for Christmas.  We don't live near a mall where they would have the opportunity, and in the past our church Christmas party has been more centered around Christ and they haven't had Santa so they missed the chance then too.

This year there was a huge 2-day Christmas craft & boutique in town.  Santa was making an appearance on the second day.  I was SO excited about seeing our kids on Santa's lap! 

Santa was seated in his rocking chair, surrounded by Christmas trees, Mrs. Claus, and even a little elf passing our mini-candy canes.  It was so fun.  I asked Ryder if he wanted to go see Santa and he said yes.  Trevor was holding Brody and asking him if he wanted to see Santa and he said a flat no.  Some serious convincing was going to have to happen.  Trevor was so patient and telling him he would have to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas so that he would know what to bring.  Brody's smart little self said, "How about you just go tell him, Daddy?"

Sometimes I get so frustrated with Brody being afraid and timid.  I worry about him missing out on some of the most fun things in life because he is so cautious.  Then my heart softens and I really feel for him, because I was the same exact way as a kid.  Always the typical oldest child.  Played it safe.  Never did anything that would or could cause harm.  Didn't disobey because I hated letting my mom down.  I totally get it.  However, we still push him a little outside of his comfort zone at times when it comes to things he really shouldn't miss out on.

Finally, when I got in line with Ryder, Brody and Trevor did too.  Ryder was just intently watching Santa.  I think he was more in line for the candy, but he wasn't acting afraid.  Trevor had knelt down and was talking to Brody saying that Ry-ry was going to go sit on Santa's lap and so he could too.  Brody said, "How about....Ryder just tells Santa for me."  He really wasn't going to do it.

We were at the front of the line, with only one kid in front of us and Trevor said, "You know Ryder is going to freak out, right?"  Um, yeah.  I was totally banking on that.  He was fine in line and everything, but I knew the moment he was placed on Santa's lap we were going to have a problem.  It may sound mean, but I wanted him to cry.  What's childhood without a picture of you screaming on Santa Claus's lap?

At some point Trevor somehow convinced Brody to at least go STAND by Santa.  We got Ry up there and the crying started while Brody just stood and stared and I think tried to say what he wanted.  Then Mrs. Claus made the big mistake of putting Brody on her lap.  HAHA!  It was hilarious.  Ryder red-faced and crying on Santa, and Brody lip-quivering trying not to cry on Mrs. Claus.

Brody told Santa at some point that he wanted a firetruck and Santa said he would have the elves get working on that.  Then they were given candy canes, and all freak out was forgotten. 


And I got my much wanted and very classic childhood memory of the boys on my camera.  Priceless!

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

Oh those ARE priceless photos! The best kind! Totally making me smile while reading your blog today!